1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

statewide prep sports positions

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, May 20, 2009.

1. Talked with one of their folks today to set up a phone interview. I'll be honest, it sounds promising, but I have some serious questions. I'm wondering if anyone in the SJ community has signed on to work with Coaches Aid or knows someone who has. There's enough red flags on this thread to make me gun-shy. Not to mention the guy said he'd like to interview me today or tomorrow and then make a hire Friday ... seems rapid-fire (which isn't all bad, of course, for someone in desperate need of some income).

Just looking for a little insight is all. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Former colleague is the new "coordinator" for one western state. Hard to know much at this point, since they are a start up. They are hoping to have a full-blown site this coming season, but time will tell.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Former peer is a coordinator for a large state. He blogs, covers stuff and coordinates (with three or four other managers) a bunch of correspondents. I hope it works out for him; he's just glad he didn't have to move.

4. TTFN2008

TTFN2008 New Member

They still need people in Wyoming, North and South Dakota for those interested.

5. RodSwartz

RodSwartz New Member

I interviewed with them. The night before I interviewed, I got a text message saying, "Thanks for taking the time to interview with us; we will let you know of our decision by noon." Obviously, it was meant for someone else. After interviewing, they said I would hear from them the next day, by noon, one way or the other. It's been more than a week and I still have not heard a thing. I know of someone else who works for them and said his paycheck showed up late. My guess is I did not get the job, but at this point, there's no way I would take it if offered.

6. scribe1

scribe1 New Member

Late paychecks doesn't sound good. I know that a few guys are on their own in a few states right now, even though their sites were to be up and running in a few weeks. From what I understand, they have been held up because they have not gotten budgets to hire writers and photogs.

I think this outfit bit off more than they can chew. Stay tuned.

7. Glen Rosales

Glen Rosales Member

After much consideration, I've accepted a job here as the NM coordinator. I did not run into any of the problems that others have mentioned, other than it took some time between initial submission of interest to contact. Once contacted, however, I've been quite impressed with the professionalism, business model and expectations.
    I've had most of my questions answered to my satisfaction, and some answers exceeded my expectations. I've been freelancing for 15+ years so the idea of signing on with somebody was not easy, but the past two years have not been easy, either. I've always had ink in my blood so to foresake newspapers is going to be hard after all of these years.
    That being said, it's fairly obvious that what my wife has been telling me for years is quite true: "Honey, you're a dinosaur. Newspapers are dead." Damn, I hate when she's right. It's such a rare thing...

8. scribe1

scribe1 New Member

How long on the job? Did you get a hiring budget and have you hired anyone?

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

My peeps tell me that the company is flying all 60-odd of its new employees to OKC for a long weekend's worth of training, etc. in a couple weeks. Gotta think there is some major-league dough behind the outfit to be able to do that. (This info coming from a guy who recently worked for an internet outfit at which he *never* met his boss).

RB

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, CoachesAid has also signed a huge advertising contract with a group -- Army Reserve or something like that -- for an extended period of time. From what it sounds like, that ad alone will pay for quite a bit of the expenditures (i.e. employees).

11. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

This is a phony gig. Don't get involved in it.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

What makes you say that, llcharlie?

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted