1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

statewide prep sports positions

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, May 20, 2009.

1. cubman

cubman Member

I once sent a resume and clips to a newspaper, only to find out that the address listed was a P.O. box. I only found that out because I dropped off my clips in person. That made me feel pretty good.
    I also chuckled when that paper lasted only about a year.

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I also interviewed for a "content coordinator" position and was told when I left that they were very interested in me and would be in touch on a specific day. That day came and went with no phone call. I called them the next day and they said they were going to call me the next day to put me "on a conference call with corporate." Again, no phone call. So at this point I'm not really sure what's going on. I know they are really busy right now making mass hirings (at least, that's what I'm led to believe) but it seems that they are dragging their feet and it's quite frustrating. It sounds like I'm not the only one that has received this same kind of flaky treatment either. If anybody else has been in touch with these guys, please post because I'd really like to hear about it. I'm still interested in freelancing for them (not so interested in the content coordinator thing) so I hope it pans out. But I'm quickly losing faith.

3. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I've called and left several messages to follow up about my resume for one of the positions. Haven't heard anything back.

4. esport12

esport12 Member

Ran into one of their guys at a football all-star game in Texas. Handed me a piece of paper that explained what they were doing and told me to e-mail my resume and some clips. I tried to ask the guy about more specifics, and he didn't have much. Was interested in how they were going to compete with the likes of Dave Campbell and a myriad of other web sites/magazines in Texas, especially as a start-up with not so big of a staff. Didn't have an answer. Kind of stumbled.

Still, this could be a good gig if they get it together. These sites can be extremely successful.

5. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix New Member

I've been in contact with these folks for the past three weeks, have offered services for sales, content and technical, and like others on here, I have gone back and forth for the past two weeks trying to figure out when to interview - including asking me to drive five hours in the middle of the week for an interview - with two days notice.

Considering I can't do that, now it's going to be another two weeks before they can get back to interviewing me. While I'm a big fan of the idea, and I for one think with the right guidance and organization - not to mention $$$ - believe their idea can work, I'm not sold on how this thing is unfolding.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Take this for what it's worth, and it may have already been said -- But sites like this can offer quite a bit until they start crunching numbers in certain areas and realizing that "maybe Utah won't spend the dollars like we hoped they will."
    There's a "statewide" side down my way that has fumbled their attempts to successfully cover all of the state because schools in most of the county won't pay for advertising. That advertising pays for the site to have reporters in those counties. When that doesn't happen, they avoid that county like the plague.
    Might explain a lot of a feet dragging.

7. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

Has anyone heard anymore about this gig?
    I've had a little contact here and there with these folks, but I'm still trying to determine the legitimacy of all this.

8. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

I received a phone call from them last week. We spoke for about 15 minutes. I was told at the time that they were looking to talk to 3-4 candidates and in person this week. Well, it's Thursday and nothing. If it happens, it happens. If not, I'm not losing sleep on it. I figure the ball is in their court right now and we'll see where it goes from here.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

From what the halfway reliable RB Pipeline offers, several of their content coordinators started July 1, with more coming on in the coming weeks. A mid-August "launch" date for the sites is a possibility. Stay tuned.

RB

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I believe the issue with the perceived "flakiness" of these guys is the fact that they are trying to go from 3 states to all 50 states in a matter of a couple months and they might be in a little over their heads. Maybe they bit off a little more than they could chew and that's why they're having a tough time keeping up with everybody. I have been in contact with them but it's always been when I've tried to make contact. So I encourage anybody who is still interested to just be persistent with phone calls and emails because eventually they will get back to you. I've been involved with the "hiring process" with them for about 6 weeks now and honestly, I've just been given the run-around. But until I get a definititive "no job" from them, I'm going to keep on them and I would encourage anyone else in the same boat to do the same. I don't think they're flaky I just think they are swamped with responsibilities right now.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Echoing the 3-to-50 thought (I think it is actually 2-to-35, but the drift is the same ...), the CoachesAid folks are cranking things up VERY quickly. Depending on the state, they are still hiring content coordinators - with those folks still in the early stages of pursuing writers and photogs.

So, yeah, stay tuned. :)

RB

12. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

I ended up interviewing with them about a week ago. Things were going good until they threw out the plan that eventually I'd be expected to buy into the site once it got off the ground.
    Oh and maybe sell a few ads after 10-12 months on the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted