1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State Wobegon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

No, I am against the redistribution of wealth. I am in favor of letting the individual decide his or her own fate. I am against punishing the successful to play wet nurse to the non-productive.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Without reference to cars - how about letting the successful pay their fair share of the local, state and federal tax burden?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There are something like 6 unemployed people for every job that opens up. I think we're beyond the "Only lazy people are unemployed" bullshit.

You are against redistribution of wealth. Yet, that's already happened in the last 30 years. The wealthy have more of the money.

If you think that's good, fine, that's your opinion. You would rather drive the car with the fancy engine and the rusty body. And then, you would complain about the falling-off muffler slowing you down. Well, I got news for you. That muffler ain't fixing itself, as you think it should. It takes money. So you say, who needs that muffler? I'll just drive it and it'll be really loud. And other people from around the world will see you drive that muffler and say, "Why does this guy have this car with a great engine and no muffler?"

That muffler represents our elderly and the people who are most vulnerable. It's hidden away underneath. They don't seem very noticable. Until they collapse, and become a drain on the whole operation. Do you want that?

The car is America. The engine is the wealthy elite. The body and tires are the middle class. The muffler is the poor and elderly.

So far, you're one vote for the fancy engine, rusty body car. I haven't seen anyone else vote for it. Maybe because they know that it takes a whole working car to get you where you want to go. But that would be ... redistribution of the wealth.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Who is proposing that?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Especially considering that the top tax rate for the last 10 years is at the lowest it's ever been.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh Lord. You have to recognize the difference between the lifestyle impact on dollars $50,000-60,000 versus on dollars $500,000-600,000. It is not SOCILISM!!!! to recognize that.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

enough with the damn car analogies, they're ridiculous.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why does Warren Buffett pay 15% tax on his capital gains income while you pay 30% on the wages you earn?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do you want to pay 30% on your capital gains?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He pays his lobbyists better than you do.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What's wrong with rusty old cars?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The rich could still pay for the basics rather easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.