1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State sportswriter associations and NSSA...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thanks for comin' out, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Are they worth joining? The simple answer seems to be yes (it's not like it's an arm and a leg), but before going through the trouble I wanted to see if anyone had a take on it.
    I'm thinking the state one is a good idea... thoughts?

2. jaredk

jaredk Member

Seems to me that any group promoting sportswriting and sportscasting is worth our support. That's what NSSA does. It's not much of an organization, always seems to be struggling along. But other than APSE, it's the only thing that gives a nod to us. I send in my dues every year.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

anything that can help you network and make some potentially influential contacts at other newspapers can't be bad. my shop pays the annual state dues, which makes you eligible for the writing contest and gets you an invite to the annual drink-a-thon known as the convention. at the convention, you can drink enough free beer to justify the moderate annual dues.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

wow! this is all new to me. never heard of nssa

5. Is it Natty light?

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

nah, it's better than that. a prominent southern racetrack supplies the beer and whiskey and does a fine job doing it, too.

7. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I always enjoy attending the state convention because it's an opportunity to cheat defeat 2underpar in the annual golf tournament to end the festivities.

8. nssaexec

nssaexec New Member

FYI, I'm the executive director of the NSSA (started one year ago) and we are working very hard to make our organization worth joining. For those that don't know about us, you can check us out at www.nssahalloffame.com.

I welcome any and all feedback on our organization and how we can make it better for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted