1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State record, Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And both he and the greatest running back ever (screw Emmitt; to me it's still Payton) played at a I-AA college. Granted, the times were different when Payton came along, but I don't think the powerhouses were beating down his door.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. And I just don't see the size concerns with this kid. It certainly isn't as much of an issue as it was with Jarvis.

3. Notepad

Notepad Member

I simply do not feel Young is a Division I back.
    He is a product of playing at a small school. Put him in a big WPIAL school (Central Catholic, Woodland Hills, Gateway) and he might have half the career yards.

Some of the people mentioned above - such as Pryor - have skills that transcend any level. That said, Pryor would have been the best player on the field, at any level, in any game, in Pennsylvania last season.

IMHO, Young would not be the best back in many Class AAAA games, especially if he had to play WPIAL competition.

I am not making a "he's not good because he's a small school running back" claim. Instead, I am saying that he is not good because his talent and skill set would not transcend the bigger levels of PA high school football.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Rumors to the contrary, they do play football outside District 7.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Shhhh ... don't tell the Pittsburghers that.

How about if we put him at a big central Pennsylvania school like Cumberland Valley, Harrisburg or Bishop McDevitt? ;)

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

FarmerJ: Nice call. [/ex-CNYer]

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I heard many stories about him and I just can't fathom what that looked like. Having covered some Central New York football, the lowest classification is incredibly bad, many of those kids wouldn't make JV teams of even decent 'A' schools in Pennsylvania.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The small-school career I would have liked to have had a glimpse of?

Curt Warner playing lowest-class West Virginia high school football. That must have been a show every week.

9. Keystone

Keystone Member

Or Wilson-West Lawn, North Penn, Bethlehem Liberty, Parkland, Neshaminy. . . .

One of the best things I read in the Post-Gazette some years back was Mike White admitting that they play high school football just as well in the East.

10. Keystone

Keystone Member

We're going to have that Young vs. Barket match-up in the state semifinals next week. :D

Barket carried 42 times for 246 yards as Schuylkill Haven beat Riverside Friday night. He broke Austin Scott's single-season yards record with a 66-yard TD run in the first quarter and has passed 4,000 yards for the year.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Young got 352 in Steel-High's win over Bishop McCort. He had 203 by the half ... and they only led 6-3.

It occurred to me around midnight that our football tab covers were looking pretty good tonight: Young for the high schools, Shady McCoy for the college/NFL.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Though I'm a Pittsburgh guy, I spent a good chunk of my childhood in Hatfield, home of the Smiling Porker.

NP always seems to be a pretty consistent program out East. Go Knights!!! [/homer font]

Draft saved Draft deleted