1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State record, Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Nov 21, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just thought I'd mention it for those of you around the Keystone State.

Steel-High's Jeremiah Young broke the Pennsylvania career rushing record today in the District 3-A finals. With 138 yards against Camp Hill, he reached 8,506.

Previous record of 8,432 was established by James Mungro of East Stroudsburg (later with Syracuse and the Indy Colts) in 1995.

Young still does not have a solid FBS offer, by the way.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Re: New record, Pennsylvania

He was the cover story in a preview I saw a while back, I think. ;)

Still no offers? Because he's at a Class A school, or is there something else?

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Every record when set is new. Had an old copy editor who drilled that into me years ago.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pretty damn impressive.

Any idea who leaders are at AA, AAA and AAAA?

I tell you what, I will be watching the WPIAL Finals tomorrow, especially Beaver Falls and Aliquippa. Thanks DirecTV!

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Being at a Class A school doesn't help. Straight-A student, so that's not the problem.

I think he's not a BCS back, but he's a solid Tulsa/Wyoming/Akron back.

His record run: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3975399/10783025

And his 2007 highlights:

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The pafootballnews.com guide doesn't break them down by class. (Not that I'm complaining, mind you -- they put out a great book.) East Stroudsburg, Mungro's alma mater, is Quad-A. Terrin Ash, now No. 3 on the list with 7,748 yards, went to Honesdale. They're currently AAA, but I'm not sure what they were when he graduated in 1994.

I'm bummed -- the game I thought about going to tonight was rescheduled for tomorrow afternoon, and I have to work instead. (Then again, it's currently 14 degrees and snowing outside, so I'm not sure I'm that upset after all ...)

And unless you have a rooting interest for Tigers-Quips, Gateway-Bethel Park is the WPIAL game you want to watch.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ash was playing AAA his senior year. I saw Honesdale-Berwick in the playoffs that year.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't believe very many small school records. Too many yards don't get taken off by the 15-year-old sophomore who couldn't make the cheerleading squad or someone's father when nullified by penalties

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I may be wrong on this, but I'm going to guess that the Patriot-News, the paper of record as far as PIAA football is concerned, probably staffed most (if not all) of Steel-High's games.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think there's little doubt this is a well-documented record.

This isn't West Podunk playing before 75 people.

11. Notepad

Notepad Member

He's be a solid back at Mansfield.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The lad ain't playing no sprint football, Notepad. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted