1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of the Union Address

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Facts have a well-established liberal bias.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Loved that shot. What a petulant, disingenuous, shiv-wielding little turd. It's going to be great to see him get his, in the last reel.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They have to talk about SOMETHING . . . and it's why, even though I'm addicted to the process, I won't watch the talkers every day, because the shit-stirring just to stir shit is beyond tiresome (and Politico is the chief offender, by MILES).

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So many are doing it . . . but it would seem to be just window dressing, and I wouldn't expect a follow-up . . . this year, anyway.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Did any of the laid-off Solyndra employees get a seat at the SOTU?

Just wondering...

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Bill Clinton was a masterful pol but his legacy is now engrained in American politics: bring in someone down on their luck for a speech, "Jim Wilson is a single mom, raising 11 kids in a shoe after his sex change..."

So the POTUS talks up the finished wars, job training, hitting up the rich for more taxes, penalizing banks for mortgages, keeping troublemakers in high schools instead of letting them go elsewhere.

No talk of health care or shovel-ready stimulus jobs. What is he going to run on? I was disappointed he didn't call for Cash For Clunkers II. :)

Even with my diatribe, I still think he wins on November.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Actually, the shoutout to the 'ordinary hero' in the gallery began with President Reagan.

www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/post/state-of-the-union-30-years-of-skutniks/2012/01/23/gIQAlMs5LQ_blog.html

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As did so many other things that his would-be heirs now claim to abhor.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It seems like the State of the Union shout out has jumped the shark. It's has become a rogues gallery of the Lifetime channel.

Having Warren Buffet's secretary there seemed like a cheap stunt.Maybe Buffet should pay her more money and her tax rate would be less of an issue.

The poor lady from the jobs training center in Charlotte looked she needed her teeth fixed. She was afraid to smile.

I wonder how Lauren Jobs felt when Obama was vilifying the current Apple business model of outsourced manufacturing. " I want to give a shout out to Lauren Jobs, her dearly departed husband is responsible for sending 500,000 manufacturing jobs to China."

Draft saved Draft deleted