1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of the Union Address

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jan 25, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Please tell me someone else just watched Matthews grill the leader of the Tea Party, showing him footage of bachmann ranting about how the founding fathers abolished slavery, and demanding he explain why such an idiot bubblehead is the face of the party. (He couldn't). Great TV.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But I thought the "tea party" was a "spontaneous grassroots national movement," and didn't have "leaders" pulling the strings.

That's what they keep saying, anyway.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For the life of me I don't know why anyone would accept the task of doing response. Most have failed miserably - in both parties.

The only one any good in past 10 years was Webb.

How could we forget Jindal, or Pelosi ODing on Botox or Tim Kaine's strange left eyebrow.

4. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

My interest lies with guessing exactly how many analysts CNN will have on the set for the SOTU speech.

My guess? 16. They won't go all out like the elections--which looked like a telethon bank--but we will get three desks of talking heads, no doubt.

NO ONE brings the analyst heat like CNN. And that's probably a good thing.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This whole Bachmann thing could be the jump the shark moment for the tea party groups. Then again, a lot of people could stop watching by the time she comes on. So who knows.

Someone I know who works in the GOP leadership was lamenting the other day that there are some members of the party, and in leadership, who are scared shitless about what the Tea Party folks will do, and thus want to curry favor with them. These responses tonight won't help anyone.

6. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

I prefer C-SPAN to watch the address, and then I watch NBC for the analysis afterwards. Can't stand listening to commentators explain the President's entrance and things such as that.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

It's funny, I thought Tan Man was planning to cancel Social Security on the first day back in the House. Guess repealing health care took precedence but hey, plenty of time on their clock left to trash the rest of the safety net.

8. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

They already have a countdown clock to the address. Right now, we're at 2:11:06

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is Glee new tonight?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It happens this way regardless of which party is in office ... but how can the "response" to the State of the Union address be leaked out in excerpts before the SOTU address takes place?

Dog, meet pony.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's on after SOTU and before Junction Boys

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Very few souls will stick around to hear Bachmann. For GOP, it's a win-win; makes it look inclusive to the Tea Party while still marginalizing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted