1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of the Union Address

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Jan 25, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is the thing that annoys me about you, cranberry, even though I generally like you.

1) I wasn't hand-wringing about anything. I simply pointed out that rising commodity prices are due to misguided central banking policy. It's factual. I can back it up. And it is a source of inflation -- will be. There is ALWAYS a lag before it show up in government statistics, which are manipulated anyhow. People simply feel it in their pocket books. That is what is on the horizon. At the gas pump. In the supermarket. And everywhere else they shop.

2) You were wrong with the pat, "Speculators have driven up the price of commodities." It's flat out populist BS that shows a lack of understanding or someone who does understand but is intent on creating a boogeyman. Commodities markets are made up of dozens of types of parties, with various interests. EVERY trade has two sides to it, where those influences converge. The prices of commodities haven't risen because of speculators. It's as incomplete as me saying, "The price of commodities has risen because of hedgers trying to lock in prices today, because they see higher prices on the horizon." That is a fact, by the way. They see inflation. As do speculators. Which is why commodities prices have risen and continue to. It's a total market reaction. It's not speculators, as if they are some kind of one-sided, evil entity. The actually make the commodities market work by creating liquidity, which makes them anything but evil. Because without speculators, businesses wouldn't be able to lock in prices, in order to create stability and not be at the whim of large price increases that hit them unexpectedly.

3) When the fuck have I ever "pimped gold."? That is your usual, say something dumb and unsubstantiated and attribute it to me. Show me the post -- anywhere on here -- where I told anyone to buy gold, pimped it, or did anything BUT point out what was going on in the gold market, and offering my opinions why. I can actually show you posts where I told people not to fuck around with something they can't monitor, in dangerous markets that eat people up when they are inexperienced. So please stop with the bullshit where you attribute things to me that you know are untrue.

4) The price levels are quite realistic. It's where hedgers and speculators have set those prices. The markets are very reactive to short-term events, so you see unsustainable price spikes that might last days. But if you look at the 50-day moving averages of most commodities, the technicals are very sound. There is nothing unrealistic about those kinds of charts, which demonstrate that the rise in prices has been sentiment based, not people playing some kind of manipulation game to create something "unrealistic."

2. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

I hereby nominate this man to deliver the GOP response in 2011. It'll be the first memorable response to a State of the Union address.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thank God for speculators otherwise oil would be at $40 a barrel.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Explain, please.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If it weren't for transparent markets, open to all participants, you wouldn't know what the price of a barrel of oil costs.

That's how it was before the NYMEX created an open marketplace.

Before that, oil traders made more money than they make now. Back then, if you wanted to purchase oil, you had to call around and try to find the best price.

It was like trying to scalp Super Bowl tickets before sights like StubHub and similar sites existed.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, that story the President told about his mother fighting with her insurance company about a pre-existing condition: not true.

Her issues with her insurer were not related to a pre-existing condition:

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yeah, that story Bush told about Iraq and enriched uranium? Not true either. Next.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

One among 'way, 'way too many, and our citizens will be paying for the whirlwind thus unleashed for quite a while.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

OK, then let's all quit being mean and nasty to the poor innocent insurance companies.

I don't know and I don't give a flying rat fuck whether Barack Obama's mother had a preexisting condition or not.

I know I have one, and anyone who tries to get in the way of me getting medical coverage can take a red-hot cast-iron poker right up their oozing aromatic asshole. And I'll be happy to ram it up there with a sledgehammer.

Draft saved Draft deleted