1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of the Newspaper Industry

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Your Huckleberry, Jun 9, 2007.

?

What is the driving force behind the decline of newspapers?

1. The Internet

71.4%
  2. The Economy

28.6%
  1. boots

boots New Member

Who are getting fatter everyday.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Fuck 'em.

The man, the suits, the tight bastards, the man, stupid editors, tight motherfuckers, the man, Fredo, bean counters, the man, the suits who pretend they aren't suits, the stupid motherfuckers who have jobs on account of the fact that they have pics of heavy hitters with goats, the man, quota hires who think their shit don't fuckin' stink and can't write/edit/design/manage their way out of a paper fucking bag and ... most of all ....

THE MAN.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And what is very comforting about the future of newspapers is that those companies are taking those 30 percent margins and using it to buy back stock to improve their Wall Street numbers instead of re-investing in an improved digital product.

4. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

exactly, oregon. this is what happens to journalism when its books go on Wall Street.

5. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

It's like someone here earlier said, community journalism takes the hit as these big conglomerates gobble up the tiny papers: see JRC.

6. boots

boots New Member

But have you noticed that the tiny papers are making money and NOT complaining?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

for my money, the word "objective" is the most important word in your post.

i used to hate having to tell readers why we wouldn't do a story they suggested when i first became an editor. i could care less now. had one of those phone calls today. whacked the person at the knees, was straight to the point and then moved on with my day and didn't give it a second thought until i read your post.

if you don't want an honest answer, don't ask me a question.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think what both sides forget sometimes is just how FAR we are from each other in terms of news judgment. What Joe in the street thinks is a story, couldn't be further from actually being one. And a non-journalist would walk away from a news budget meeting with his head spinning.

9. boots

boots New Member

Hell I do that on a constant basis.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what joe doesn't get is we have to serve the masses, not just his family. sad thing is, i don't think joe ever will understand the meaning of the word unique.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

In a nutshell.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Note added bolded area for clarity please.

Draft saved Draft deleted