1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of the Industry: Chapter 11.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Nov 15, 2008.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Maybe we can get Nancy Pelosi to work for a $25 billion for our industry and convince Obama to make it happen.

Question is, who could burn through that money faster, GM or McClatchey? Heck, give the $25 bil to both and make a survival race out of it---last one standing gets to swallow the other.

2. I can see this..

* Figure out how to leverage core competencies into new directions and new niches.

... entered into dooleyfish.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just a thought. If the auto industry receives a bailout plan, could something like that be done for the newspaper industry?

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The time has come to blow up the industry and start again, and these guys say they're going to meet again in six months? Boobs.

5. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

No. Millions of people in countries around the world are dependent on the automobile industry. I've heard that for every job created in the auto industry, that's three or four more in the parts industry.

The newspaper "industry" is just a blip. Plus the newspaper is an outdated model. It can be produced online with smaller staffs and less overhead, quality be damned.

I'm not a fan of the bailouts but if we lose the auto industry we're fucked. There's not enough jobs at Wal-Mart to employ everybody. Those jobs are already being held by everyone who used to be in the textile industry.

From Wikipedia: "Closing the Big Three would mean loss of 240,000 very high paying jobs at the Big Three,[7] a loss of 980,000 high-paying jobs at the suppliers and local dealers, plus the loss of 1.7 million additional jobs throughout the economy--a loss of 3 million jobs. Estimates are that a Big Three shutdown would cause a decline in personal income of $151 billion the first year, and $398 billion over three years. The federal, state and local governments would lose tax revenue and spend on welfare programs a total of $156 billion over three years.[8"

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I hear and agree with what you are saying. Newspapers are screwed, no question.

Draft saved Draft deleted