1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of Play

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Apr 19, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So that's yet another piece of pop culture we have entirely opposite opinions on, then? :D

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I loved this movie. The credits had that nostalgic feel for me too.

3. Didn't do nearly enough with Helen Mirren's character, but good film.

4. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

Awesome film. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and newspaper men and women will love it. Crowe was superb, and Mirren was excellent. I agree that they did not do enough with her character.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good instincts. I thought it was trite and predictable, as well as poorly written and ill-conceived. Russell Crowe is a walking, talking cliche in his role as the earthy, tweed-wearing, hard-drinking, fucking-the-politican's-wife veteran reporter. They did nothing with Helen Mirren in her Katherine Graham role. Just disappointing from beginning to end. I knew within the first 10 minutes that I should have seen the Seth Rogen movie instead.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Oh, man....hate to be That Guy, but I found it to be filled with cliches. My wife and I were laughing out loud at some of them, but we were in a weird mood to begin with.

Nothing major, just stuff like both of us betting if we ever got to see Crowe's apartment it would look like...pretty much exactly like it looked in the movie.

I did love Jason Bateman's bit part.

Edit: I hadn't read Cranberry's take, so he gets full credit for being That Guy first.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That part was, indeed, pretty awesome. The entire story is great. I've wanted to see this for a while. Now, I REALLY want to see it.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

what a shocker!! ijag and i disagree!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

9. topsheep

topsheep Member

Just saw it. OK.

The part where Crowe makes mashed potatoes is straight out of my life.

SPOILER...

But I am a little confused by the whole unfurling of the truth. So, Affleck was paying her for sex and hired the mercenary who killed her?

The editing was for shit. Goddamn, I want to understand dialogue but it gets mumbly so many times. Mirren was no good. Too much brogue at times. And again, the ties between everyone got confusing.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I enjoyed it. Just wish the reporters' story didn't center on extreme conspiracy theory bullshit, but that didn't really matter much. The film was about the process of reporting and on that level it was excellent.

The closing credit newspaper montage nearly left me in tears. Especially since the majority of the people in the theater didn't even bother to stick around and watch it.

11. topsheep

topsheep Member

Of the 300 or so in the theater today, I'd estimate 250 stayed through the newspaper montage at the end.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I saw it Tuesday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I suspect because I've been in the biz I probably got more of the little things than the rest of the people in the theatre.

SPOILER ALERT

The new corporate logo under the papers sig on the wall, and the push/pull between the accountants and the newsroom were dead on. There were times it felt like a remake of All The President's Men, but that didn't really take away from it for me. I was the only one left to watch the press/distribution sequence in the credits, and this was good, since I teared up.

Draft saved Draft deleted