1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of Play

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Saw it last night. Decent newspaper movie with some conflict between old-school reporter and new-school blogger.

This is interesting, too:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/10/AR2009041000056_pf.html

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Frank, that link is great. I loved this part:

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Sweet. This thread (especially that great link) has inspired me to go see this tonight.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm hoping to see this at some point this week. Looks like a solid flick, especially for this early in the year.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Here's something from AP critic Christy Lemire's review that we all might find interesting:<blockquote>But it also turns out to be a fond homage to old-school journalism, and it plays like a eulogy for a sadly dying industry.

That's especially true of the footage that rolls during the closing credits: the printing, packaging and shipping out of a big-city newspaper. The images may seem mundane, but they also evoke nostalgia for a more optimistic, prosperous time - especially for those of us who work in this business.</blockquote>

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Saw it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. But the most amusing moment of the night was during the previews. Some movie called The Informers, Billy Bob and a few other names are in it. At the end as it's listing who will be in this blockbuster flashes the name BRAD RENFRO.

The thing must have been in distribution or editing hell.

As for the movie, Crowe is really good, just like pretty much everything he's in. Affleck sort of has to play a stiff character, but the difference in acting skills between those two is striking.

7. The British miniseries was excellent, even though the plot was kind of ridiculous sometimes.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Onion's AV Club reviewed it this week and the abstract was this:

Ouch. The closing-credits montage was described as "the print equivalent of that terrible late-period Soul Asylum video that waxes nostalgic over CD manufacturing," which made me giggle. What video was that?

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I can't go see any movie with Ben Affleck in it.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Then you missed Smokin' Aces, which was awesome.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Smokin' Aces was easily the most overblown piece of shit I've ever seen.

Ever.

Pointless, waste of time, and a complete waste of Ryan Reynolds AND Alicia Keys. Horrid.

And I WATCHED IT WITH YOU!!!

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I rented it before knowing he was in it. So I did see it, and Affleck's part didn't last long.

Draft saved Draft deleted