1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Wow, that's a suicide waiting to happen.

2. espnguy

espnguy Member

And people wonder why "right to work" states have become so prevalent. That's why newspapers (and any other biz) can get away with this stuff legally. It may not be morally or ethically right, but that's what our politicians did for us -- screw over the average working Joe while cow-towing to corporate America.

Regardless, I hope your friend consults a good labor attorney. He has nothing to lose and everything to potentially gain.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

pleased to say espn, my boy found work at a mag in one of the country's two largest cities and received about 20K more a year for his troubles.

doesn't happen that way too often, though. ... although he could have had a job with me any time he wanted.

4. sartrean

sartrean Member

Not really sure, but I bet I can draw unemployment. So fuck the desk, beside I've done it before and it's hell, and I was never good at it.

I'm going to give them six more weeks of about 32 hours a week, down about 32 hours a week, then I'm going to file for unemployment and live off of these motherfuckers for as long as I can, sit around the house and hang out with my dog, play video games, bang strange women I meet in bars, go to Prep games as a spectator and tell people to go get fucked when they ask me to put an article in the paper about their kid. I'm going to have fun with this.

And for whomever asked, my $2.50-a-day-latte is really $40-a-day-quarter-grain-of-heroin.

Actually, going to a Prep game just to enjoy it as a spectator might be worth being unemployed.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Classic! :D

Enjoy yourself, seriously.

6. ronalong

ronalong Guest

I don't think newspaper will ever disappear and the internet take over. I still see people reading newspapers as I pass bus stops in the morning on the way to work. I think dailies will shrink, but I read a industry article recently about community newspapers are growing as the large dailies are losing readers. Consider working at a community newspaper and only covering a small area, forget working up to covering the NFL. The future may be covering preps at a community newspaper. I work in a southern state and know of four new community newspaper start ups in the last year.

7. Isn't the OCR part of Belo/Dallas Morning News?

8. scalper

scalper Member

Great advice, Ronalong. Be sure to mention that the kids out there should also never consider making more than $30,000 a year.

If you can do anything other than journalism, get out. Don't walk, run.

The newspaper is the AM transistor radio in an ipod world.

RUN!!!!!!!!!!

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"AM transistor radio in an ipod world."

Very nice.

10. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

You have done well, Lex Luthor.

Kneel before Bob!! ;)

[​IMG]

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

No, it's privately owned (save for the 40% Blackstone Group owns) by Freedom Communications.

Draft saved Draft deleted