1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of CT vs The Catholic Church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is a pretty good outline of stated intent:

http://blogs.courant.com/capitol_watch/2009/03/catholic-church.html

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Other than the repeated attempts to claim it's a veiled effort to silence the church (a concept I can actually believe as the impetus for the bill), I still can't see the lawmakers giving a clear explanation as to why this would help.

If the intent is to examine the tax-exempt status, why aren't ALL churches being targeted? This sounds fishy, and bad.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I honestly think that its subterfuge on part of church to suggest that it is an attempt to silence them.

I do think it is the result of a few incidences where parish priests have taken money belonging to the parish. I believe this bill is designed to provide more civilian over site at Parish level.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Priests already can be prosecuted for stealing that kind of cash... one or two were in fla. last year of the year before, unless the CT laws are different. I don't know why they can't just charge them with a crime.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

We have a good discussion going here.

Let's not derail it with the usual piling on and pissing matches, hmmm?

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The one caught steling a cool mil for the condo and the trips pleaded guilty and was supposed to go to prison, but was allowed to undergo experimental treatment for prostate cancer. NOt sure about the one from Greenwich.

Draft saved Draft deleted