1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of CT vs The Catholic Church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 8, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Who cares? Connecticut is going to burn in the upcoming apocalypse, anyway. /crossthread

2. I Digress

I Digress Guest

so confused.. everyone is ridiculing this law.....the gov't can't tell a church how to handle it's finances....i don't want anybody's religion in my government, ergo, my government needs to stay out of religion. not complicated. And service gamer, you came in with a chip about the church and blatantly, perhaps, purposefully, misinterpreted what everyone was writing.

3. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I don't see how demanding the arrest of the pope can be misinterpreted, but whatever. Of course, I find the irony absolutely delicious as my words have been twisted around all over the place. Take outofplace's comments as an example.

I never used false accusations as a complete defense of the Church, but merely sought to point out that they have happened and wanted to compare their rarity to the rarity of a pedophile priest in comparison to all other priests. I didn't call into question the validity of all claims, just brought up the false accusation as I saw firsthand the damage it caused a priest. Again, I'll reiterate, I feel sorry for the victims and believe the corrupt priests should be punished.

He also implied I believe there are more false accusations than there are cases that have not been brought to light, which I never even hinted at.

He also implied that I was making excuses for the Church, which would mean that I think that the victims are the ones to blame (which again, I DON'T). He then tried to stoop to what everyone seems to perceive as my 'low level' by making an implication that 3 posters knowing victims would indicate many more guilty priests, blowing right past any sense of innocent until proven guilty--all of this is no small feat given how far up he is on his high horse.

But yeah, I'm the person who misinterpreted everything...

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, neat word trick there, service. You didn't try to use false accusations as a "complete" defense of the Catholic church. Again, there is NO defense for the way the Catholic church has handled the sexual assault committed by priests. None. Ever. It is disgraceful that you keep trying.

High horse? Are you serious? Any human being should be disgusted enough to hear that a priest assaulted a child. But that wasn't even the worst of it. There is an extensive history of the church covering up such behavior and simply sending the offenders to other parishes where these bastards can do it all over again. Do you even understand the violation of trust there? The endangerment of children by putting known predators in their churches? It sickens me and it should sicken you, too.

I didn't imply your beliefs on the numbers. I asked you the question. You are tossing out "false accusations" as some form of mitigating factor. If you're going to do that, you have to account for the unreported assaults, too.

You are making excuses for the Catholic church. Everyone sees it. So please, stop bothering to say otherwise.

So nice of you to admit that the corrupt priests should be punished. Are you even including the Bishops who covered these incidents up among those who should be punished?

Sorry, I'm getting a little fired up here. I'm a parent. I don't do well with stories about children being assaulted by people they were supposed to be able to trust. Not to say that non-parents wouldn't be upset as well. I'm just trying to explain why this one hits home for me.

5. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I really, really hope people can understand that I think those corrupt priests and bishops can be punished. Honestly, my only intention was to try and stick it to those that I perceive to be taking advantage of the scandal to rip on the Church. I'm not saying anyone who is disgusted by the evil acts is out to get the Church and I admittedly got too hot under the collar. Nevertheless, I still feel I've been a bit misinterpreted with my fundamental argument and have not appreciated being likened to someone who condones such despicable conduct. Again, what set me off were the comments about arresting the Pope and things sort of went from there. I apologize for offending a parent who must contemplate their worst fears for their children when discussing this issue and I apologize if I offended anyone victimized in some way with sexual assault. We could go back and forth forever if I once again tried to explain my rationale, so instead, I'll simply request that people look at this post and try to at least see my viewpoint and realize that I'm not the scum of the earth.

(And for what it's worth sportschik, I've felt guilty all day about not taking in the possibility that sexual assault victims were involved in this discussion and that I should have initially used more tact in phrasing my viewpoint, I was just already pissed and things sort of got out of hand. I am truly sorry for offending you, though.)

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Nobody is saying you are the scum of the Earth. Perhaps just a bit .... misguided. :)

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Please stop playing this victim card in every debate that has some sexual nature too it. Anyone who was paying attention during the election knows. You told us all countless times in trying to discredit Sarah Palin. It has a way of getting the debate off the track.

I seriously doubt that service gamer was aware.

You are at risk of becoming a caricature of yourself.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

News from today about the proposed bill:

http://blogs.courant.com/capitol_watch/2009/03/catholic-church.html

This is what the co-chairs of the judiciary committee had to say:

And in a related story, a Trinity College poll suggests that the number of Catholics in CT has fallen from 50 to 38 percent of the population over the last 18 years:

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-connecticut-catholics-survey-0309,0,4470595.story

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

McDonald represents part of Fairfield County and some of those parishoners asked him to introduce this bill after their parish priest stole more than a million dollars for a Miami condo and trips with another man (a no no if you're a Catholic Priest). And Connecticut is known as being full of stupid laws and even dumber lawmakers, but hey we keep electin' em. My 2cents

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This may be a bit overboard, but if I was one of those parishoners, I'd certainly have a right to be ticked off about the stealing of church funds (though I'm guessing I'd be amused about the with another man part, which probably helps explain why I don't go to church much anymore).

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Also known for the arrogance of the Fairfield County archdiocese. Instead of coming clean on this priest the Bishop tried to cover it up. They even transferred the priest who blew the whistle.

This bill is wrong but the Catholic leadership in CT only have themselves to blame. Their arrogance has no boundaries.

12. Of course, this doesn't help.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7930380.stm

Fuck those idiots in the red beanies, and I go to Mass every week.

Draft saved Draft deleted