1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of California is broke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 31, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If you make $47,056 in the state of California, your CA income tax rate is 9.3%.

Compare that to other states.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How much state corporate income tax does Apple, Facebook, and Google pay?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One of the themes of the NYT article was how much Apple avoided in state taxes by moving operations to Nevada, where there is no income tax. The state's tax rate is quite high. That may not result in the taxes being paid because of said money-moving, but that isn't really a problem that a state government can solve.

4. poindexter

People scamming CALPers every single day - this dude was getting $545,000 a year in state pension... but yeah, its a Prop 13 problem.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-vernon-pensions-20120601,0,5371733.story

5. poindexter

I don't understand what this means.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco_tot_tax_bur-total-tax-burden-per-capita

I just provided a link to the total tax burden by state. California is ninth highest and has a $2,392 per person burden, just ahead of Michigan. The U.S. median is $2,000 per person.

While California in has done dumb things it seems to me that for people like you to pay that much in taxes given the overall level of spending that Prop 13 must be a terrible distortion.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You forgot to mention fur coat-wearing welfare moms driving Caddies. BTW, I'm sure there are plenty of Republicans and Democrats who profit from the status quo.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Neither solves the problem at hand.

9. poindexter

What is the number you need to start caring?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This.

It's bad everywhere, but it is so much worse in California, it's not even funny. There was that story last year about the city manager in some tiny area had voted himself and his assistant six figure salaries and pensions that would pay them six figures for the rest of their lives.

I don't even know if it would be legal, but just even to get started fixing this, they would need someone to go in there and retroactively change all of the absurd pension plans that have been handed out over the years. Like I said, probably not legal, and good luck finding anyone who would or could do it.

One of the other things that is killing them is the movie industry. The taxes are so high that nobody in their right mind shoots anything in Los Angeles. It's all in Louisiana or Vancouver or some place where it's more affordable.

"Breaking Bad" was originally supposed to take place in Riverside. When they found out they couldn't afford to shoot there, they just moved everything to Albuquerque.

It's my home state and I love it, but holy shit is it a mess...

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The property tax issue is a huge one. The public schools are shit too... Of my friends who have stayed there (very few) the ones who can afford it have their kids in private school. I tell them about having things like pre-K and all-day kindergarten and 25 kids per class where I live and it just sounds insane to them.

I graduated high school in California 20 years ago this week and we were living through the first round of big cuts to the schools. About five years after that, things had gotten much, much worse and it hasn't turned around.

12. poindexter

Per capita is a bogus statistic, since California has 12% of the population, and 32% of the welfare recipients. The tax burden isn't distributed evenly at all, those who actually shoulder most of the tax burden pay significantly more than the per capita amount.

Draft saved Draft deleted