1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of California is broke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 31, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw something recently that the unfunded public pension liabilities statewide are about $200 billion and increasing.

I reflexively hate politicians, especially those who affiliate themselves with the two major parties. But John Chiang is the man. I am still trying to figure out what the catch is with him. I am so cynical.

Calpers' liabilities were no secret -- I think it hit a lot of people's radar screens when you started getting some of the bankruptcies, like in San Bernardino, and people were taking stock of the liabilities. But even before that, I had been reading negative things for more than a decade from people who analyze the state's muni bonds -- what a joke the pension system was and how everyone had their head in the sand. The website Chiang created is pretty cool -- it's transparent in a way that you rarely get from government. Anyone who lives in Cali, and wants to, can now see what a mess the state put them on the hook for. There is no way the state is ever going to make good on those promises.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am still trying to figure out this website. It is awesome, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted