1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of California is broke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 31, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Funny how the people in charge don't act like it.

Price is no object to renovate each of the Cal State presidents' homes. I know, 'retain talent', 'best and brightest', yadda yadda yadda.

http://www.presstelegram.com/opinions/ci_20745745/editorial-perks-csu-execs-need-overhaul-remodeling-tuition

How about on the revenue side? State Senate Votes 37-0 to make sure that shippers don't have to pay a penny in California use tax on fuel. The same tax us schlubs pay every time at the pump. 37-0, a clean sweep.

http://www.lbreport.com/news/may12/bunksen.htm

Its not like the state couldn't use $100 million in revenue annually.

Love all the labor unions behind that bill. They've paid for these state senators, and the senators damn well better vote in alignment.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, poin, but our girls are unforgettable -- Daisy Dukes, bikinis on top.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Based on the title, I figured this would be started by Livingin2000.

4. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

Obvious headline is obvious.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

$100 million in additional tax revenue is like getting a half an inch of rain during a five-year drought.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Hard to feel sorry for a state that has done its best to appease every left-wing wacko group out there, keeps electing wackos (Jerry Brown) and morons (The governator), for governor and isn't remotely interested in collecting taxes from illegals yet has no issues paying for their health care, schooling and whatever other goodie some bleeding heart can find for them......

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I plan on getting out of here (NorCal) as soon as I possibly can. I absolutely can't stand this place anymore.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You. Rat. Bastard.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I think the problem is that it appeases every wacko group, from the left and right. A two-thirds majority to enact a tax increase is blatantly undemocratic, despite various court rulings, plus the general disaster of Proposition 13 to local revenue.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Illegals" pay taxes every time they buy groceries or gas.

California's tax problem? Take it up with Howard Jarvis.

11. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

LOL. You act as if there's a Fair Tax invoked in California. Illegal immigrants work for cash (just as many legal citizens do, unfairly). If they don't, they have fake identification, which is just going to happen. But to say they pay taxes on groceries and gas is just absurd to act like those numbers matter in a large scheme.

Fair Tax, people. Fair. Tax.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There are no taxes on groceries in California.

Draft saved Draft deleted