1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State Fair Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cjericho, Aug 26, 2014.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

The big attraction at the Iowa State Fair? The butter cow. Yes, a huge mound of butter shaped like a cow. Plus each year there's a sculpture of someone/something famous, also done in butter. I remember Michael Jackson a few years ago (this was before he died). When dignitaries stop by, they make sure to make their way to the butter cow for pictures. I was there in 2008 when Fred Thompson, then running for president, visited the butter cow.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Well played!

3. joe

joe Active Member

He was about 1,000 pounds, but just a regular hog, not some fire-breathing hybrid like Hogzilla.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think we're headed to Cuse for the NY State Fair next Friday or Saturday. Went to Broome County a few weeks ago
    and it was pretty disappointing. It's outside Binghamton in Whitney Point and if you walk slow you probably can see
    everything in 30 minutes. Not a fair, but went to the Finger Lakes Cheese Festival. It was decent, good amount
    of samples and a few local breweries. They had a decent band playing also. Also went to the NJ State Fair, which
    is pretty much a county fair compared to NY. The food is a mediocre or little above, although only had nachos and ribs
    from a food truck from CT. In June there's a Rock, Ribs and Ridges Festival at the same place. The food there is better,
    not sure why the same people don't go to the State Fair.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pro tip for politicians at next year's Iowa State Fair. Don't order a corn dog.

Draft saved Draft deleted