1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State athletic association cancels seasons after on-court brawl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Nah, Glenda Ritz. She seems to be the reason for all things currently wrong in Indiana....

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was in '93 or '94, I think, between Carmel and New Castle.

3. Dick Whitman

Fair enough.

And I think that it probably has a lot more to do with geography than anything. Just like every Marion County school is an IPS All-Star team and no one seems to give a damn, but if a kid hypothetically moves from Cedar Lake to Lowell, I swear Bobby Cox responds like there's a 10-alarm fire he has to put out.

Also, Griffith sued the IHSAA in a pretty high-profile, ugly transfer case about a decade ago and won. Did that factor into this? It's hard to say. But when two other schools, including an IPS school, have the same type of brawl and get off with probation only, it makes you wonder.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Lot of the same feelings, over in St. Joe County. South Bend CSC teams have had a lot of the same run ins (SB Washington, in particular) with the AA, in particular with transfers. I'm a transplant, so I've always felt the Association was pretty fair. Of course, I don't have the history some of my friends & co-workers (LOT of coaches in that mix) have.

On the other hand, nobody likes "the region" :)

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Never imagined I'd see this case discussed on this board, but since I happen to have some personal familiarity with it, I feel compelled to correct your post:

1) The "KKK shoes" story is entirely bullshit. Never happened. The kid had actually scribbled the word KRIS on his shoe. Kris being the name of his girlfriend--which is a rather cheesy, but not in any way racist, thing to do. Afterward BN players made the claim about a player having KKK on his shoes, the Bloomington papers reported the claim without bothering to consult the other side, and soon the ridiculous myth of the player with the KKK shoes spread across the state. A myth I see you, and plenty others, bought hook, line and sinker.

2) Martinsville did not have its season cancelled. They were sanctioned (I believe they couldn't host home games the next season) and placed on a period of probation, but that season went on as scheduled.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You're right, they probably wouldn't be one-and-done based on their record, but not knowing those teams or how good/not good the teams they would face would be in the first round, it's hard to assume they will play more than one. It's research I'm too lazy to do but a postseason ban doesn't seem that bad, I was more commenting on the ending of the season. A 3/4 game suspension isn't horribly harsh.

7. Dick Whitman

I had counted six games left when I checked this the other day, but they've taken the remaining games down now:

Indiana high school boys basketball Griffith

That math doesn't add up, though, because I thought the limit was 20 games. I swear I counted six. Maybe I'm misremembering.

8. Dick Whitman

Also, someone from Martinsville told me that fans weren't saying, "Go home, darkies," they were saying, "Go Arties!" (Martinsville's nickname is the "Artesians.")

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That is correct. Arties is the team nickname, and likely the actual word that BN claimed to be "darkies." There was a huge degree of embellished sensationalism in what was reported in Bloomington about that game, and it does appear the IHSAA sanctions were based, at least in part, on bald allegations that were simply not true.

However, the sanctions weren't entirely unwarranted. There was some legitimate sanctionable crowd ugliness, in particular one incident where some redneck hag woman stood up and screamed something utterly abhorrent for all to hear when Kueth Duany got injured.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

There's a discrepancy between the school's site and MaxPreps (which isn't unusual). It looks like you're right and it was six games left for Griffith based on the school's calendar.

11. Dick Whitman

I've got to imagine that there's a court battle forthcoming. The lawyer who repped Griffith in the transfer case (I think technically he repped the player, I'm not sure if Griffith was a party or not) now specializes in the area in suits against the IHSAA. One of the other lawyers on that case is now the long-time mayor of ... wait for it ... Hammond.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Griffith was the #10 team in the last AP 3-A poll. They are (were) pretty good.

The post season ban IS bad. It should be.

Draft saved Draft deleted