1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starting pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 5, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For those newbies/college students that ask what entry level pay is, check out this link:
    http://www.newsguild.org/salary/2006reporterstart.php

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Those are all union shops, of course. Doesn't cover the thousands of non-union shops in the industry which are free to gouge away.

3. EStreetJoe

True, but if you look at the lowest paying of those union shops, I can't imagine a non-union shop paying too much less than that.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Are those weekly numbers?

5. EStreetJoe

I would guess yes only because of the papers on the lower end of the scale. For instance the Rochester paper, where the salary is $304. I can't imagine the union letting an employee work for $152 a week (if that's an every-other week pay amount).

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are. But those are probably averages that take into account that people don't start with the minimum five years experience.

7. I'm pretty sure those are numbers for those who rate in with no experience. Were I to start at several of these papers, I would rate in with five years' experience (which is the max for new hires at some Guild papers), even though I really have seven years' experience.

8. Well, start imagining. I know plenty of papers in my state that pay WAY less than those bottom numbers.
    We're not talking metros, but small dailies and weeklies. They pay down around minimum wage at points.
    In fact, I know several reporters who will get raises when the minimum wage hike goes into effect.
    How sad is that, especially for people with degrees?

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No mention there about papers that hire dudes as clerks, then throw them out there as writers.

A great opportunity for those people, to be sure. And quite the money-saver.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

I get paid in peanuts at my place

11. pmartin25

pmartin25 Guest

I thought we all agreed as sports journalists to take a vow of poverty?

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

"The average reporter starting minimum salary under Guild contracts was $615.01 on Nov. 1, 2006."

That comes out to $15.38 per hour! That's a helluva lot higher compared to my first newspaper gig. I was making $11.05 pr/hr.

Draft saved Draft deleted