1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starting Over ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

At the ripe old age of 41 my husband (45) and I are splitting up. I guess we are one of the statistics that prove a lot of marriages cannot survive the empty nest.

So, I now find myself facing the daunting task of trying to find a place to live. Me. Who has never in my entire life lived alone. A real estate friend of mine met me at AA's house tonight to help me. For I really don't even know where to begin. And God bless her for that. We are going to look at houses Friday.

I find myself in a daze. People talk to me and I don't hear what they are saying. It's like a curtain has dropped down over my eyes.

On Friday my child will be visiting from Austin, and I will have to look her in the eyes and tell her that the only home she has ever know no longer exists. That the shelter she always thought she could return to is no longer there.

And then there is the niece and nephew. The ones that are related to me only by marriage. So when said marriage dissolves, these kids are lost to me. My niece. The one that I would give my life for. And yet, somehow, that right has been snatched away from me.

I share these burdens that have no answers with anonymous people like yourselves, simply because acknowledging the truth to those that know me so well is embarrassing.

After 18 years of supporting a person and their (what I thought was our) business, I find myself with no marketable skills. I will have to go back to school. Figure out a way to support myself.

So very soon, I will leave my Ike-ravaged property, to try and make my own way in the world. How I will go about that is truly beyond me at this point.

We raised kids together for eighteen years. Eighteen years. And just like that. It's thrown away.

Forgive me. I have reached the bottom and don't know where to go from here.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Liesl, I'm so sorry. I know the enormity of the situation is daunting. But you can't let the whole overweigh the individual things. Take it step by step, rely on your family and friends, and I know you're strong enough to excel in a whole new way.

As for the niece, nothing says you two can't remain. I'm sure she's old enough to make that decision, and I'm guessing no one will stop her from doing so.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow.

I'm very, very sorry.

Divorce is a tremendously hard thing.

I went through it a year or so ago and it sucked and I still feel the effects.

If you need anything let me know.

Edit: That said, my life is better because of it. I feel like a lot of negativity from my life is gone and I have a girlfriend and it is a much better relationship.

Like Serveitup says below me, you can only go up from here.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Wow... I can't imagine what you're going through. That's just.... there are no words, Lies. I'm so sorry to hear this.

Well, the positive is that you can only go up from here. Like the Texans. I know it's tough at the moment but it will get better. Same thing I've been telling myself the past couple of years.

Hey, you've got a great support group here and away from here. Use us all. We're here for you.

5. liesl, i wish you the best. you sound like good people.

if your daughter is remotely as strong as you are, y'all will fare fine.

edit: yes, ijag offers good advice. and as sam says, turn to this place repeatedly. it's helping me through some tough (though in contrast piddling) times right now.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Liesl, I'm very sorry to hear that you're going through that. My family was in the same situation three years ago. There is nothing easy about it.

Keep your head up. Embrace the love and support of your family, especially your daughter. Don't be afraid to be afraid -- we all are, at some point.

Give yourself some time, then embrace the future. Let yourself grieve, but then pick yourself back up. Life as you have known it may be over, no doubt, but a new one is just beginning and it will be just as rewarding. Believe that.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

lies - as ijag said, take it step by step.

and please consider just renting an apartment for awhile before buying a home. you may come to realize, you no longer want to live in the same region in which you reside.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There's nothing to forgive, Liesl. It's times like this when this board is at its best.

The best thing has already been suggested. Try not to look at the entire picture all at once. Concentrate on the little things. The next hour, the next day, moving the items you can use from your place into your new dwelling. TP's suggestion about an apartment might work best ... no point in feeling like you must buy a house or take on a mortgage when you might want to further explore your option.

Working on the little things - the things within your control - will help take your mind off the bigger picture, the one that can overwhelm anyone given the situation.

Surely your children will understand and support you. And, as IJAG said, your niece and nephew are at the age where they can choose to continue a relationship of some sort with you. There's nothing that says that has to end.

Lean on us, Liesl. SIU already said that, but hopefully reiterating it will help drive that point home. Keep us posted.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This is good advice.

I leaned on this board, and a lot of board members, and they were very good to me. As messed up as this place can be, there is an awful lot of good that can come from here as well.

Lots of people have been in your shoes, so don't feel bad seeking advice from them.

10. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Sorry to hear about your situation, Lies, and I hope for nothing but good things for you. As for the living alone thing, embrace it. So easy to say, but so hard to do if you're not used to it. But that'd be my advice through all of this: Love yourself and be comfortable with yourself. And everyone has a marketable skill. You're just not used to figuring out what it is and actually marketing it.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm so sorry to hear this, Liesl. Many good suggestions have been voiced here already.

I'll add my pragmatic $0.02: Speak to a lawyer. Make sure your legal and financial interests are protected, especially if you owned a business together. Do not rely on the idea of "my ex is a good man, he'll treat me fairly" or "we're still friends, so it will be OK." Things can change in a heartbeat. Don't give him the opportunity to deprive you of your rights or your money. Make sure that any agreement spells out things like who pays for your daughter's college expenses and future wedding.

And your niece and nephew are still family. That doesn't have to change if you and they don't want it to.

12. Agree with everything said so far, Lies. It's easy to withdraw and focus on the negative. Lean on your family and friends for support.

And like IJAG and Cadet said, your niece and nephew can still be a part of your life. I think my ex talks to my mom more than I do.

Draft saved Draft deleted