1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starting at a weekly vs. a daily

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BRoth, Mar 18, 2007.

1. I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the ring as well. I started out at a tri-weekly and am currently at a weekly. Some days I think I'd like to move up to a daily and just focus on writing or page design (instead of doing everything, one-man-band style), but other times I just enjoy the freedom my current gig affords. Sure, the pay is shit, but I can set my own hours, pursue whatever stories I want and spend more time with my family. Those are great perks.

Of course, the flip side is that by having such loosely-defined boundaries and job requirements, I have a much bigger tendency to procrastinate and generally fuck off when I should be working. If you're serious about eventually moving up to a daily, then take your responsibilities at a weekly just as seriously. Like HejiraHenry said, set deadlines for yourself, stay organized and be proactive.

Either way, if you're talented and dedicated, you'll get where you want to go.

2. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

Yup. I desire to get to a daily again, but working as an SE at a weekly has helped immensely. I've learned page design, managed stringers, learned how to work beats, built a more thorugh portfolio, and write 6-8 stories per week. I treat it as if I was working at a daily, never letting stories linger, researching and getting legwork in a reasonable amount of time, and editing precisely. In theory, working at a weekly is a lot more lenient than working at a daily, but only if you let it. If you take it seriously, it can be tougher and more stressful.

3. Jor El

Jor El Guest

I bet he made sure to take his weekends, though.

4. Taylee

Taylee Member

For the most part. He'd swing in for a cameo after his Saturday morning workout at the Y. We all thought it was so he could do head count. He'd usually call in Sundays to ask about front pages of news, sports and metro ... like we didn't have a meeting Friday about the same shit. Sometimes turds get what they deserve because he was exiled to a Gannett island where he could do no harm to a paper, but more importantly, the big company itself.

5. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Personally I think everyone should spend six months at a weekly. Gives you a better understanding of community and you will work your ass off doing every kind of reporting imaginable from great features to the 8-incher on the old guy who grows the 3-pound tomato. That allows you to have some career options -- news or sports, managing or not managing, etc. I spent a few years at weekly and twice-weeklies and the experience was invaluable in that it greatly broadened my scope. Nothing like covering a heated city council meeting on Monday, a prep game on Tuesday and run like hell back to the office to finish building the section, JUCO on Wednesday, 3 interviews for weekend features on Thursday, more preps on Friday and Saturday and getting hammered at the grocery store on Sunday from the parents of the players you didn't cover earlier in the week. Toughens you up and prepares you for all kinds of situations later in your career.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'll agree with the well-rounded experience working at a weekly can offer. I've covered everything from the death of a US Senator to taking pictures at the local elementary school Christmas production and everything in between. Design, layout, proofing, photography, writing, ads -- you'll do it all at most weeklies.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Depends on the weekly. If you're at a weekly that is distributed nationally or one that has a high circ (over 100K), then the workload can be comparable to daily experience.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The sword cuts both ways.

One of the dangers of getting used to work at a weekly is that you can get caught up in your small corner of the world, and it can affect your news judgment. If you can walk out of there and into a daily and understand Podunk High School's small place in that world, OK. But it can be difficult.

Draft saved Draft deleted