1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Start

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I asked for opinions on where people would draw the line. To save time, I threw out an 80-12 record as an extreme example. I didn't want to waste people's time with a poll that listed 100 options. Surely, a "start" is somewhere between 10-0 and 80-12.

I'd like to know where people think that line is. I've heard your argument. I hope I get to hear others.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fair enough. I apologize for the snarkiness.

My answer: it's a case-by-case basis. I don't think a line in the sand like "two seasons" necessarily works in every case. So I would say when it feels like it's time to move away from 'start' then you should. Until then, I think it's very useful.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

When the coach bests the previous mark for a start by the previous coach, you reset it accordingly.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It's a good question and also smacks of being a cliche. I frequently ask our cliche-prone writers: "When does it stop being a start?"

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Holy crap, J_D! I thought you wre talking about that little town on I-20 just east of Monroe.

You, er, start-led me.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thanks for getting my midday off to a nice start.

Draft saved Draft deleted