1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Start your tradin': Carlos Lee to Rangers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Price doesn't go up one bit. Lee is a potential two-month rental, far different than Abreu, who has two more years at $23 million or something like that? If the Phillies want to dump salary -- and the only way to entice Abreu to do the trade is for that new team to pick up his pricey 2008 option -- then they can't demand top prospects at the same time when the other team would be doing them a favor.

The Phillies will get what's offered to them and like it.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Then Gillick won't deal. I'm not sure why folks continue to perpetuate this myth that the Phils are desperate to dump Abreu at any cost. Is he expensive next year? Yes. Can the Phillies afford him next year? No question.

I'll be stunned if Abreu is dealt for beans. At the same time, I'll be surprised if he's moved at all. My guess is the Angels and Yankees are the only real options for him and one of them may get Soriano.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Mensch will need to borrow Bernie Brewer's cap. For a while at least.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Is Cordero the new Brewers' closer?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lee is better than Soriano (and as good as Carlos Beltran -- check their career numbers), yet might fetch less in trade.

Perception, folks, perception.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

lee's a hell of a hitter -- probably even a batter hitter than beltran. but beltran is a much, much better baserunner and defensive player

of course, defense doesn't matter in fantasy baseball, so who cares about that?

7. Not sure why the Brewers traded for Nix. Aren't they already strong up the middle with Dave Krynzel and Corey Hart (insert sunglasses at night joke here)? But I do like the Mench pickup, and maybe Cordero will benefit from Mike Maddux's tutelage.

And now the Rangers have a devastating combo of Young-Teixeira-Lee (assuming Big Tex snaps out of his funk). If Blalock could improve his pathetic .584 OPS over the last month, the Rangers could slug their way to the AL West title.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Good question. Anyone know the answer?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I love this deal.

The Rangers get the power-hitting corner outfielder they've been craving for years. They essentially swap outfield prospects (Nix for Cruz). And they don't have to give up any of the DVDs (Diamond, Volquez, Danks) in the process. Well done, Jonny boy.

Cordero seems finished as a closer / set-up guy. See that meltdown Wednesday night? Phew! And I'm not surprised the Rangers finally gave up on Nix. It's been four years since his first call-up and after a solid rookie year, Nix has struggled mightily at the big-league level.

The only question to me is how this trade gets treated in the room. Mench was probably more valuable to the team as a clubhouse guy. You could count on Shrek for the practical joke and keeping guys cracked up. Out in the field and at the plate, he was pretty much just an above-average guy. Solid, but replaceable.

I can see the Rangers making a serious push to keep Lee.  Besides still paying part of A-Rod's deal, their share of Chan Ho Park's deal comes off the books at the end of this year. That leaves Millwood as their only huge contract. They'll have money to spend.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Lee is not better than Soriano, who, oh by the way, allows a team to stash a 40-40 guy (well, close) at second base, which, other than catcher may yield less offense of any everyday position in the game.

I don't even think he is better than Beltran.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I think this trade works for both teams. The Rangers get the bat they need for the corner outfield, albeit only for two months. The Brewers get a decent bat and a power arm for their bullpen. Cordero has struggled at times, but his stuff is there. He's still striking guys out.

Plus, the Brewers have Mench and Cordero beyond this year, which creates trade possibilities in the offseason. They have a glut of outfielders.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Damn! That's not a bad trade for either side, I must say. Milwaukee got some decent working parts for its outfield and Carlos Lee could thrive down in Texas. Nice job, Jon!

Draft saved Draft deleted