1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Start-up business ideas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bullwinkle, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Mods ... if you feel this belongs on journalism topics only, feel free to move it.

OK, so I am thinking about partnering up with a few friends and taking a shot at starting up our own business. Between the three of us, we've got plenty of money and we've got some skills -- in journalism, in business, in marketing.

The problem? We need a concept.

It's easy to say something like, "We'd like to open up a bar," or, "Let's open up a store of some sort." But, we're really trying to find an inventive idea. We've thought of some ideas that we could pursue on the Internet, and then a few other completely random ideas, too. But I was wondering if anybody has any concepts that you think would be interesting to look into. Surely, some of you have considered getting out of the industry and trying your hand at something new. After spending years covering the story, I have to believe that we get the urge now and again to BE the story.

I know I probably sound like a moron. And yes, I am a moron.

But my friends are smart (even though their ideas suck!)  ;D
  2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Go to a college town, buy a Cereal Bowl franchise. Or sharpen saws at home.
  3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I should have demanded serious replies only in the original post. Dammit! :)
  4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I was serious about The Cereal Bowl. Of course, it has a financial requirement of $250,000 net worth with $50,000 being liquid just to buy in.

Or you can stuff envelopes. ;D
  5. Magnum

Magnum Member

You can own your own plumbing business.
  6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I think I'll take a mulligan ...

Let's say you could get out of the industry and start your dream business.

What would you pursue and why?
  7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

start a newspaper
  8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This is not my dream business, but more in line with the original post. I am definitely considering this if the situation is ever right.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Also, I hear you can get into a Little Caesar's franchise for around $100,000 ($50,000 if you're retired military). The learning curve here wouldn't be too steep and you could make some really good money if you got in the right location.
  10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

That's sort of interesting.

We are committed to putting all our time and energy into whatever idea we pursue. The problem, so far, is finding an idea (or concept) that's interesting and has great potential. We just want to ...

1. Find an idea
    2. Come up with plan
    3. Execute

And yes, we hope the execution of our plan is more Bill Belichick than Ty Willingham.
  11. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Pool hall/hash bar called Sticks n' Stoned.

Seriously, I'd have to say private investigation firm that I run out of my boat. We'd occasionally use the big pink, porcine helicopter and our dorky friend's robot to solve cases. Why? Why flippin' not, man! All cases solved in 44 minutes or your kids eat free! As long as those snooty ass punks Rick and A.J. stay out of our hair, we're all good.
  12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Yes -- I want more ideas like this :)

(though ideas that are easier to execute!)
Draft saved Draft deleted