1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Start times of high school hockey games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Tonight I was covering a high school hockey game that was scheduled to start at 8 p.m. I arrive at the rink at about 7:40 and a youth hockey practice is on the rink. The practice finally gets off the ice around 7:55. After the ice is resurfaced, lineups are announced and the national anthem is played, the puck is dropped around 8:20.
    I know ice time is expensive, but why can't somebody tell the youth hockey people somtime around 7:40 "There's a game that's supposed to start at 8. Can we wrap it up?"
    It always seems to be a practice, never another game, that causes the game to start late.
    Does this happen at a lot of high school hockey games in other places?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

The correct answer is: There's never a good time for high school hockey.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Be thankful the game didn't start at midnight or at 7 a.m.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

High school hockey has become very big in our area and start times range from 11 a.m. (on weekends) til 9:30 p.m. and sometimes the "9:30 game" doesn't start til 10.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

High school hockey starting times are always "estimated." We work on the assumption we'll be lucky if the game starts within an hour of the announced starting time.

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Sounds like more of a problem with the announced game time than anything else, they should probably know the game isn't starting until 8:20 p.m.

Rink time, at least in most places, isn't like gym time where game times can vary incredibly. In most cases, you pay by the hour and they'll buzz you right off when your time is up so it can be resurfaced. I'm not sure why you'd have such inconsistency, unless there was a tournament or game with continuous overtime — but good schedulers usually include a buffer for such instances too.

7. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

When I was in an area that had high school hockey, Friday night games would have an announced time of 9:30 p.m.

Fortunately, my hockey teams were horrible so I didn't have to go to their games as often as I might have if they knew the stick from the puck.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Around here, barring double-overtime, the games are usually spot on. Of course, some aren't even scheduled to start until 9 or 9:30 on a Friday or Saturday night. Oddly, those games don't get much coverage. Amazing how many of the 6:30, 7 or 7:30 games get covered. Quite a phenomenon.

Draft saved Draft deleted