1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Start my suicide watch: Fisher, Titans parting ways

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jan 27, 2011.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, because fans are certainly going to be lost without those six playoff appearances and one Super Bowl loss in 16 seasons ...... ::)

2. I'm mobile, confident and I once stayed at a holiday in express just outside of the University of Texas, so I am confident in my leverage. Bring it on, sucka.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

During his tenure his players made 54 Pro Bowl appearances which is over three players a year making the Pro Bowl. While the Pro Bowl isn't the best barometer of skill it does show that he wasn't coaching in football Siberia.

Stever McNair was a MVP winning QB, Eddie George was excellent and other players like Kearse, Bishop, Haynesworth, Roos, Hopkins, Finnegan and Vanden Bosch.

The myth that he coached shitty teams is a myth perpetuated by Fisher being a nice guy.

4. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

I've been one degree removed from Bud Adams twice, on business deals, once in the late '80's and just a few months ago. He struck me as gutsy, but not a gambler; he made smart final decisions in both cases, in my estimation. But this was as an investor, not as a football man. My point is, he's not a nut in the business world. I don't understand the Vince Young thing; he didn't fall in love with bad investments, nor the very likable people proposing them. One more example that sports is a different type of business, I guess, different dynamics for sure.
    Based on his record, I've felt that Fisher is pretty good coach. I'm glad to read some more knowledgeable comments here; what I know about him wouldn't slop over the edges of a teaspoon.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Adams and Young are both Houston guys, and the old coot still has many business interests in the area.

Just because you are a respected coach doesn't make you a great one. Also, look at Fisher's fruitless coaching tree.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bud Adams' move of the Oilers to Nashville has been nothing less than brilliant. IIRC, the team has sold out every game (not 100 percent sure about that, but it's pretty close), and the team has made a fortune, and no one has anything bad to say about Bud in Nashville.

That said, I think the team will be treading water until he dies; I understand his sons are set to take over the operation and they are highly regarded. But I suspect the next couple of seasons will be washes for my Titans.

BTW, the Nashville gossip grapevine says Fisher was dating Adams' grand daughter and it's thought that they recently broke up.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Gregg Williams won a SB as DC for NO, Jim Schwartz is on the upswing in Detroit.

BTW, I think David Climer sums it up best when he calls Fisher "Coacho Ocho-Ocho."

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

That is the worst kind of asshammer firing, similar to what the Boston Bruins did to Mike Sullivan a few years ago. Wait for all the other open HC jobs to be filled, then turf him.
    He's not good enough to coach your team, but you're afraid he'll get another job and come back to haunt your team? If he's not good enough to coach your team, why should you give a shit if he coaches another team?
    Gutless, gutless, gutless.

9. I think the fact that the Houston job was, at the very least a possibility of opening up, and the idea that a guy who has led your organization for a decade and a half would play a factor no matter how good a coach you think he is. I don't see it as being gutless necessarily, just a calculated move, unless of course something happened over the last couple of days, which I am sure will leak sooner rather than later.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could see Adams wanting to keep Fisher away from Houston. I read one report where they said Adams would owe Fisher $6.5 mil, but another said it would be closer to $8 million.

It sounds like Fisher pulled one over on Adams himself, he renewed the contracts of all of his assistants without telling Adams (which Fisher is allowed to do) so some of the guys like Cecil, had his contract renewed right before he was fired.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Two guys in 16 1/2 years, and Williams was horrible in Buffalo.

Like him or not, Brian Billick coached for nine years and his guys are spread all over the league.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Still don't know why 40 BCS schools aren't calling up Jeff Fisher.

The guy wins 8 games every year and usually plays one game in January, often at home. That's exactly what nearly every school wants.

Draft saved Draft deleted