1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Start at big newspaper in news or small for sports?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ATLHawksComeback, Jul 24, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wonderful how professional jealousy snuck in there, isn't it? ::)

Though I do agree about going with A. Working on the news side is good experience whether you stay there or go back to sports.

2. ATLHawksComeback

ATLHawksComeback New Member

Well I guess it is that simple. I was pretty sure more people would say I need to pay my dues. I still can't see myself in a Metro section, but if it's the smart thing to do maybe I will.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

It's the smart thing to do. Good luck.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

A A and A. If you're unhappy in Metro, the smaller sports gig will always be open, and with bigger daily experience, the payscale will be higher than if you were just out of your internship.

5. ATLHawksComeback

ATLHawksComeback New Member

What about a copy editing job at the larger paper. Does it still work out the same?

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Taking a copy editing job at the big paper could be good and bad. Make it clear to the editor that what you want to do is write, and see if there would be any opportunity for that, either in the future if something opens up or working a game here or there while doing the desk gig. I think all reporters should spend some time on the desk. I just think you learn a lot, about style and editing and just how things work, that helps you be a better writer and reporter. But I also think it's easy to get roped into that and kept on the desk. Which is fine if you want to do that, but if you want to be a writer, make it clear that's your career goal.

Of course, it never hurts to get your foot in the door, but I think working news side wouldn't hurt too bad here if you can get some good experience.

7. Sports Editors love seeing that you have experience covering cops, courts, etc.

If you cover the Bengals or Baylor basketball, that experience will come in handy.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

He could take a copy desk job and then spend his time doing things other than copy editing, too. I hear that's an option these days at many papers.

9. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

I know that I'm definitely in the minority here, but I'd go with option B. There's nothing wrong with working an entry-level reporting gig at a metro, but will you learn any more than you already have? I know a handful of talented reporters that are stuck at the same level they were at a metro paper because either there's not a lot of opportunity for them to grow, and the longer you stay in the same spot, your superiors begin to think of you only in that role. Plus, when the next round of cuts comes along, you are much more secure as the low man on a three-person staff than you are as the low man on a 50-person staff.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

I understand what you're saying, but in this case, the bigger paper is probably the better option. The experience in news will help if ATL decides to move back to sports. The editing probably will be better. So will the pay. And the bigger paper is probably in a bigger and presumably better town.

11. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Definitely take option A. There's no reason to waste your youth living in shitty towns and dealing with douchebag small-paper lifers who have no ambition to put out a quality product.

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Option A.

Just take our word for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted