1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

starship troopers alert!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 17, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Had to love the co-ed showers, however.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Everything I've ever read about Starship Troopers is that it was intended to be a farce of the over-patriotic, action movies that preceeded it back into the early 80s.

This was right up to the casting, some of whom were probably aware that their hot kid-of-the moment status was being lampooned (Doogie Howser, for one, who wasn't a kid by then anyway), some of them probably weren't, which makes it even funnier. Its pretty much a big joke on the audience who took it seriously too.

The couple of times I've caught it on cable, I took it in that context and it's pretty hilarious if viewed that way.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

And .... it's on TNT tonight.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The scene where the brain bug plants his sucker thingie into the guy's skull and sucks out his brain -- complete with little bits of brain clearly visible in the tube -- always gives me the heebie jeebies.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Dina Meyer showed skin, and thank God. Not sure about Denise Richards. She saved it for Neve Campbell.

6. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Starship Troopers, like RoboCop, is a brilliant and incisive satire.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Plus, as has been mentioned, you get titty.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But how does it stack up against The Notebook? (Crossthreading)

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

It's no Starship Troopers 3 with whats-her-face from the really shitty final Star Trek series.

Yes. I've seen all three movies. DON'T JUDGE ME!

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That would be the very sexy Jolene Blalock from the very shitty "Enterprise." The only reason I remember that there was a third is that I thought it was funny that Casper Van Dien was in it after, I'm assuming, thinking he was too good to be in No. 2.

Draft saved Draft deleted