1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

starship troopers alert!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

Three? I count one.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Oh, c'mon. Surely there's been one worse than this.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I apologize. One - Dina Meyer. I thought that Denise Richards went topless in it but was wrong. I was thinking Kelly Carlson, but she doffed her top in the sequel.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Novelist: It was no shot at you, honest.

Still -- can you think of one worse that's been posted?

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I always found it odd that the military in the film was coed, including coed showers, but it also had such outmoded and discredited training methods as using live ammo during training (why would you want to risk losing recruits in training exercises?) and using a bullwhip to punish recruits.
    Then there's this little exchange in history class:

Dizzy: My mother always told me that violence doesn't solve anything.
    Jean Rasczak: Really? I wonder what the city founders of Hiroshima would have to say about that.
    [to Carmen]
    Jean Rasczak: You.
    Carmen: They wouldn't say anything. Hiroshima was destroyed.
    Jean Rasczak: Correct. Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst.

That had to have been a joke, right? There's no way that was supposed to be a serious point.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Which made the movie that much worse, really. How she went the whole movie with her clothes on, that was inexplicable by the people who made the movie.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Or ... what would happen if Jefferson Starship played a reunion of the Super Trooper characters at Shenanigans.

Yeeeeeeeeaaaah.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

LOL!!!!

9. Hearing a person explain their opinion on Starship Troopers, for better or worse, can tell you a hell of a lot about them. It's truly one of the mot divisive pieces of film ever made.

And because I feel bad saying that without giving my opinion, I think ST is a brilliant piece of dark humor, up there with Strangelove in its depiction of our how our culture wages and portrays war.

And yeah, I can say that with a straight face.

10. And by wage war culturally, I mean drumming up and maintaining support for military action. Part of that is just how disparate its depiction of war is from actual war. It's a 1960s John Wayne war movie made through the lens of a generation raised on Missing in Action and Rambo.

Edit: The Wayne movie I was specifically thinking about, The Green Berets, was made in the '60s, not the '40s.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Yeah - not only am I in the satire camp, I think it's a pretty good film too. Most of Paul Verhoeven's American career can be pretty much summed up as taking brain-dead genres and exagerating the plots to sublimely ridiculous heights. Like, you want an urban vigilante film, I'll give you one! (Robocop) Or you want a T+A film, I'll give you a T+A film! (Showgirls)

I mean, have we all forgotten the rah-rahing during the early days of both Iraq wars? Freedom fries anyone? Really, you could argue that this movie was a little too subtle...

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Assuming Verhoeven actually intended to do that and isn't completely ham-handed ...

... he did much the same thing for greed with RoboCop.

Draft saved Draft deleted