1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

starship troopers alert!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 17, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

TNT stat

2. John

John Well-Known Member

That dreadful film has been on a lot lately. I don't watch anything featuring the spawn of Gary Busey.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Question: I've seen it two or three times, and I can't figure this out -- is it supposed to be funny? Because I laugh at how bad the dialogue and fight scenes are.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good question. Was Showgirls supposed to be funny? Wasn't that the same director?

Intentional or not, that movie is definitely funny. Just check out Doogie Howser. Looks like his uniform late in the film was left over from a Nazi officer in a film from the '50s.

5. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Paul Verhoeven (sic?) directed it. He was the guy that directed Robocop. That might answer some questions for you OTR.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Indeed it does, sadly.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

And FWIW, the "movie alert" practice around here hit a new low with the posting of a "Starship Troopers" thread.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I have to vent here. Don't mean to introduce any semblance of logic or sense to this film, but ...

If Earth is being attacked by the spider-looking alien bugs, with their razor-sharp legs and dangerously acidic blood and so on, why the hell do we as a species insist on going at them on the ground, shooting them from like 10 feet away? They're harmless if you're not on the ground trying to freaking bayonet them, but our army -- even with the amazing mind of Doogie Howser in a trenchcoat guiding it -- insists on engaging them almost entirely at close range.

And don't get me started on the "brain bug" and what, um, it looks exactly like. Real freaking subtle.

Movie is train-wreck bad. Have yet to see it end-to-end, but if it's on, have to watch like 10 minutes. Then worry about the premises of films that get vetoed by movie studios.

9. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

This movie is not meant to be taken seriously at all. It is without a doubt the most scientifically inacurate film ever made. What makes it cool is that it is done like a WWII propaganda film, something I can't say for any other movie I can think of.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Read the book and you'll see just how awfully off this movie was. In the book, it actually makes more than a little sense (based on the sci-fi technology available at the time). It's one entertaining book, too.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't know why you would take this movie seriously, I mean when the cast includes Denise Richards, NPH, and Jake Busry, how does one figure on this movie giving any indepth real thought into war or life or anything else. It is what it is, a fun, action movie that even lets you see some boobs.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Three of the hottest actresses in Hollywood are topless in it. That's the only reason it was made.

Draft saved Draft deleted