1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starkville, Miss.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BujuBanton, Apr 10, 2008.

1. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

That's my kind of watering hole. Good soccer on a big TV. I like.

Also, you would at least get to work alongside a young scribe in town who is darn good at what he does (Not me. I live in New Orleans, thankfully). Could be a good learning experience.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

If by "work alongside" you really mean "eat the dust of on a daily basis", then sure.

And that crap wouldn't have been kosher on Thursday-Sunday. That said, Man. U's lone goal of said match vs. Roma was CLASSIC!

rb

3. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

All I'm saying is that it's an opportunity to learn from someone who knows what he's doing. I don't care whether "he's eating dust" or whatnot.

And yes, Tevez's goal was tremendous. The pass from Hargreaves was beautiful.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So...you want to cover SEC sports, but you've never heard of Starkville? Or are you saying you've never heard of the paper?

5. I just know that you better love hearing cowbells ... and more cowbells.

6. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Be sure to inquire about Horizon's overtime policy.

I never worked at this specific paper, but once upon a time Horizon operated with some sort of fucked up, inverted deal where you actually made less per hour the more hours you worked. If you worked 40 hours at $10 for $400, then when you worked 45 hours, your hourly rate went down, but still equaled $400 total. Don't ask me how it works. Was told that it was legal and had my dad and a family lawyer look at it and somehow the company could get a way with it.

This was nearly 10 years ago, so maybe it's better.

Just make sure you ask about that.

7. Putt4dough

Putt4dough New Member

This paper has a guy that I went to school with as assistant sports editor. They may think he's too young but he deserves an interview at the very least. Hope he gets considered, always need more EIU grads in power.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why would he interview for his own job?

9. mattyb

mattyb Guest

So everyone knows.. the sports editor is leaving for a job in Florida. Not Tuscaloosa or anywhere else. The Starkville Daily is a good newspaper. It's small but good. It would be a great place for someone that likes the small town life and the challenge of covering an SEC school.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

did you write the job description?

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

What is the word on this one?

rb

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Oh boy.

Draft saved Draft deleted