1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starkville, Miss.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BujuBanton, Apr 10, 2008.

1. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Description:
    Sports Editor: The Starkville Daily News, a daily Horizon Publications newspaper, is seeking an Sports editor with the vision, skill, passion and leadership to help make our good sports coverage great. The Starkville Daily circulates throughout Oktibbeha County, a place where college and high school football is practically a religion. That passion spills over into each community’s other prep sports, making for a primed readership that is always hungry for local sports coverage. In addition to prep sports, we cover Mississippi State University and other SEC schools. Working with the sports editor, the assistant sports editor responsibilities include copy editing, writing headlines and cutlines, compiling round-ups and laying out pages. We are seeking someone with appropriate experience. Pay and benefits are competitive. Please send resume, clips and/or tearsheets to Don Norman, Publisher, Starkville Daily News. P.O. Box 1068, Starkville, Ms. 39760, or e- mail:sdnpub@bellsouth.net or fax (662)324-8092.

Anyone know anything about the area? The chance to cover SEC sports would be great but I can't say I've ever heard of the place. It also seems to be a job that pops up a little too often. Any thoughts?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ignoring the glaring typo in the first sentence, this ad jumps from describing an SE postion to describing an ASE position. Are they looking for both?

3. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Did Travis leave? I remember him coming out of college and impressing the people he was working with as SE.

4. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Yeah I was thrown off by the switch in mid-job description too. It isn't a huge circulation jump from where I'm at but the chance to cover an SEC school would be pretty sweet. Hopefully someone can clarify which job is open. The ASE part sounds like a layout/roundup gig but I would hope the SE would be doing the MSU beat.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You won't have a staff photographer to shoot sports.

No joke.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The best thing that can happen to this paper is that somebody buys it and fixes it.

It can be done.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I could imagine a situation in which there's a lot of opportunity there.

8. I didn't actually work here, but I did interview straight out of college.

If you want details, feel free to PM me.

I will say that Travis (the old ASE, read SE) seemed like a really bright guy. The current SE is, as mentioned above, ancient and a tad careless when it comes to spelling and objectivity. The impression I got is that the ASE will take over most of the SE's responsibilities, because they just can't come to terms with forcing the guy out.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Great. So you get all the duties of SE and ASE, just not the SE title? Where do I sign up?

10. But you get to cover Mississippi State!

11. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Any idea of how much they travel with MSU? I would assume they do home and away for football and maybe basketball, but just home stuff for other sports. Anyone know for sure?

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I am about 99.9 percent sure that this Travis you speak of has been hired by the Tuscaloosa (Ala.) News as a designer ... which is slightly odd, given that I just saw the Starkville paper the other day hanging above a loo at a watering hole (which had a 51-inch TV tuned to Man. U. instead of the Masters Par 3) and remarked to myself that my 12-year-old sister could have drawn it.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted