1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starbucks free refills experiment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Not that I drink the stuff, but I like the concept of free refills of anything.
  2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If they'd stop burning their beans when the roasted them, maybe I'd go there, what with free refills and all, but their coffee is dreck.
  3. Awesome. I will now go to Starbucks at 8 a.m., order one coffee and keep getting refills all day every day.

Or, I'll save my cup and get a free refill when I go back the next day.

Or, I'll go with a friend, fill his cup halfway, then go back and get a refill and top each other off.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, between free refills, internet access and the comfy chairs at some Starbucks, they're going to have to hire bouncers to push people out the door.
  5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with you, sister.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So instead of buying ads they are giving away coffee and getting people to write articles about it. Brilliant!
  7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That attitude's going to ruin it for the rest of the coffee-drinking yuppies out there.
  8. I'm sure that the cost of the coffee, cream, sugar, etc., is practically nothing compared to the $2 of a regular cup, and I'm sure they'll use the same cups and the same "baristas" making minimum wage to pour it. (I'm also sure you'll get one refill, and they'll make damn sure you're not sitting there all day.)

I used to like Starbucks when it was kind of a novelty and they stuck almost exclusively to coffee that was sold at not much more than a cup of coffee somewhere else. Now, they're selling this faux-cool lifestyle that includes CDs and gifts. Plus, their pastries suck because they're refrigerated.

Oh, and Sportschick: According to the Starbucks propaganda, they're not burning the beans -- they're roasting them in a way that the coffee has the proper "flavor." I happen to think it tastes like mud, too.
  9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Internet access ain't free, though. Think you have to spend $10 per day for it or $6 per hour.
  10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Maybe, but when you're on the road at 2:30 a.m. trying to finish the last 90 miles of a trip home from a deadline-destroying game, and you really want to get back to your own bed and not stay in a hotel, seeing a Starbucks (rather than a Fred's Truck Stop) is like a huge Christmas present under the tree. It's like heaven compared to the truck stop diesel that tastes like a cup of liquified cigarette butts.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Minimum wage baristas won't be cost-effective with the new free refill policy. They are importing orphans from India to pour the coffee. They have agreed to do it for no salary -- just a venti-sized tip cup.

They also will devour the cream and sugar packets on their 30-second lunch break, thereby disinclining customers to linger over free java.
  12. As long as I get my free refill.
Draft saved Draft deleted