1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Star Wars" Turns 30 ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, May 24, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jeez, try watching the old Battlestar Galactica episodes. The original Star Wars movies hold up a hell of a lot better. I'm not sure the original series ever makes it to television without the increased interest in sci-fi from Star Wars.

I say that and I LOVE the new Battlestar Galactica. It is visually stunning, well written and acted with far more complex characters. But it isn't as much fun as the first three Star Wars movies. It also borrows heavily from them. Those movies were responsible for incredible innovations in special effects. Most people know that. But they also did little things like showing wear-and-tear on futuristic equipment and vehicles. The Millenium Falcon is the best example -- highly advanced compared to what we see in our everyday world, but still managing to look broken-down and worn.

It was those kinds of things that helped bring a more realistic feel to science fiction, and that is one of the strengths of the new Battlestar Galactica series.

Edit: Just found the term I was looking for to describe what Lucas did... "used universe."

2. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I was 16 and they just came out at the theaters ... in the 1997 re-release. Yep, knew what they were my whole childhood, didn't care much for it, and was taken to see them in full by some friends who grew up on them and loved them. They were pretty good, and I have the DVDs now. I could care less for the new ones.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Empire was the first SW flick I saw in the theater. However, I knew what Star Wars was through kids' books. I had an 8-track tape of the movie's dialogue. I'd listen to it over and over. It was cool. Like a radio show back in the olden days. I had a lot of the toys. After seeing Empire, I finally saw the first one at my sister's house on HBO.

4. Walked into a sneak preview in '77.
    Maybe 25 people there.
    My sad devotion to that old religion prevents me from continuing.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You were a Jedi?

6. The Jedi are dead. Their power has gone out of the universe.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Half-witted is right . . . . his response was "who's scruffy-lookin'?"

I was two when Star Wars came out. Saw the re-release a year later. Second movie I ever saw, behind Superman: The Movie.

Fenian, I hate to do this and really get my geek on, but: it's an ancient religion, and the Jedi are extinct, their fire having gone out of the universe.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I saw it when I was 10 in a theater in Spokane, Washington while my Dad and I were on vacation visiting my Grandmother. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Have to say, I bought the DVD set of the original films when they came out so my son could see them. We watched the first one when he was 7. It was the first time I'd seen it in about 20 years. Gotta say.. he was bored to tears, and I didn't blame him. Most of the movie is just people in funny costumes bitching about the federation. My memory of it far exceeded the experience of seeing it again.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I knew I wasn't remembering it right...one of my favorite exchanges, too. Time to watch 'em again....my poor wife...

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Which movie are you talking about here?

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Star Wars." The original film.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was 9 and saw it way too many times thanks to the Coca-Cola Matinee at one of the mall theaters. You brought in an empty Coke bottle or can and got into the movie for $1.

Draft saved Draft deleted