1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Star Wars" Turns 30 ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, May 24, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Where would virgins be today if not for the Star Wars trilogy? The movie and all its ancillary progeny -- action figures, etc. -- has single-handedly kept virgins entertained for three decades now. Star Wars is the Magna Carta of virginity.

What did virgins do before Star Wars? Or Star Trek?

(I keed. I love Star Wars.)

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

How old was everybody when they first saw Star Wars, the first one. And where did you see it. If you weren't around to see it the first time, I hate you!

I was five and went to see it at the old Showcase Cinemas in Louisville, Ky. Massive theater, and I can still remember the rumble that went through it when the star destroyer was chasing the Rebel ship. I was hooked right then and there. I think I saw it about four or five times that summer.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

BTW, G4 channel is having a love retrospective tonight at 7.

And History Channel is doing some stuff Monday. Check your local listings.

Even 30 years later, I geek out on the holy trilogy.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I lived in a little town with a one-screen cinema that didn't get first-run movies for months. You had to drive 50 miles to the Big Smoke. So I didn't see it till the day Elvis died. I remember it was on the radio when we were in the car going to the movie.

5. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

"But I was going to go to the Tashii station to pick up some power converters!"

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

C3PO: No I don't think he likes you at all!

R2D2: *beeping*

C3PO: No. I don't like you either.

R2D2: *heartbroken beep*

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was 16 and was with a bunch of friends. The movie had just come out and really hadn't go a lot of buzz. We were trying to get into some R-rated movie that I can't remember and they wouldn't let us so we went to see Star Wars.

I wasn't expecting anything so I was blown away.

That movie and Animal House were two I went to with no expectations at all and was blown away.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Never been a big Star Wars/Trek fan, but I'm really looking forward to the History Channel's special on the creation of Star Wars on Sunday night. Looks to be something very interesting & entertaining. Oh, I can't believe none of you mopes have posted these lines yet:

Leia: I love you!

Han Solo: I know.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

"Luke? Luke can't even take care of himself."

Chewbacca growls something

"A Jedi knight? I'm out of it for a little while and everybody starts getting delusions of grandeur"

10. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Han: "You tell that stinking piece of worm-ridden filth he'll get no such satisfaction from us!

To Chewie: "Right?"

And another one of my faves from Han Solo...

...As he leaves the bar at Mos Eisley: "Sorry about the mess."

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok, I need to break out the DVD's this weekend. I'm messing up quotes... please fill in the insult here if you remember from this exchange.

Han: I must've hit it pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, eh kid?

Leia: Why you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking...nerf-herder!

Han: Hey! Who you calln' scruffy-looking!

Is "half-witted" right?

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I've grown to dislike the films. All of them.

I grew up as a child of the late 70s, early 80s and certainly Star Wars had its place in my childhood, but looking at them now I just cringe...especially in the wake of the rebirth of Battlestar Galactica.

Draft saved Draft deleted