1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Wars Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D.Sanchez, Oct 30, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think they have to re-cast the main characters. We've already seen Harrison Ford return to sully the image of one of his iconic characters. Let's not see another.

Continue the story of the Skywalker family. Set it far enough ahead that thier kids can be Jedi or Jedi in training. Make it a damn Star Wars movie and not a teen movie. (There are actually some pretty good novels out there with some ideas they could use). Maybe, just maybe, there is a shot this could be decent.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Does Lucas not get it? This is easy for me to say as a non-multibillionare who doesn't enjoy the trappings of his own island or whatever, but here is someone who put himself on Mount Rushmore and has since tarnished his own accomplishments by being a cum-stained whore. He can enjoy private 747s, entire Vegas hotel floors and the like, but when you are dead, all you've got is your legacy. Lucas has done nothing but shit on his own legacy.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

This makes the most sense.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Things that aren't usually said after a Starman post include.... (though, I do agree)

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Indy was the title character of that series, and the action star to boot, the center of almost all the action scenes, so the fact that Indy was 65 made a huge difference as to how those movies could be made.

Han Solo is not the central character in SW, and although he was in a couple good action scenes, the whole SW universe won't be brought to a grinding halt if Han is now a creaky 70-year-old. He will look incongruous and out of place but it won't drag the whole thing down.

I suppose this also brings up the topic: does Disney take over Indiana Jones, too? I would guess Spielberg would keep control of that flagship.

6. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Oscar-winning writer Michael Arndt, who wrote Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine, will write the screenplay for Episode VII.

http://starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm getting genuinely excited for this. Just let Brad Bird direct and it could be legitimately great again.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Somewhat of a minor tangent but I read on AICN the other day that Indiana Jones is indeed part of the Disney deal, which I suppose might have some bearing on Ford's possible return (to both franchises).

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Hiring top writing talent to anchor the movie cannot be anything but good.

If these movies are as well-written as I expect they will be, it will really make Lucas look like the hack he's been for the last 15 years.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Lucas had friends polish the dialogue for the first Star Wars film. He's always been the guy with the vision and the attention to detail. Never been a writer or a director of actors.

American Graffiti is the only exception to this.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There's a reason Empire Strikes Back is the best of the Star Wars films .... because Lucas didn't write or direct it.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Depending on how far this series goes (one last stand? bookend trilogy? going concern?) I think you set the stage for the next two generations but hold off on the youngest for at least one movie. Otherwise you're introducing a lot of new faces in VII while trying to establish the connection to the originals.

Also, I nominate Aaron Sorkin as the Ep VII screenwriter.

Draft saved Draft deleted