1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Wars Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D.Sanchez, Oct 30, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Obviously the story is well known, but damn that was a great decision to keep the rights to the franchise rather than negotiating a higher director's salary for Star Wars. A $4 billion lottery ticket.

On another note, I'm surprised LucasFilm sold for only a little more than Marvel and a billion less than the Fox Family channel. Star Wars is freakin' ATM machine, and I'm sure LucasArts and Skywalker sound produce healthy profits as well. They got a very diverse, extremely marketable property for not much more than they paid for Marvel, which I don't think has nearly the assets LucasFilm does.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Two billion of it was in Disney stock, which I assume will provide more profit down the road.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Natural nerd enemies? :D

4. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Nerdemies. Or something like that. I don't know.

LEAVE ME ALONE I JUST LIKE THE SILLY MOVIES!

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fair point. And according to Mashable, Lucas likely saved in excess of $200m in taxes by completing the sale before the end of the year.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Brad Bird. He is next up on my wish list if Whedon is too busy or decides to pass. In fact, I'll him ahead of Abrams in a less time than it takes Han and Chewy to do the Kessel Run.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, Lucas actually negotiated the merchandising deal in lieu of a director's salary because the original film was going wildly over-budget. Still, as you said, a prescient move by him.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Hehehehe, from Fark:
    [​IMG]

http://www.fark.com/comments/7408888/Fark-Instashop-contest-Now-that-Disney-owns-Star-Wars-what-subtle-changes-should-we-expect-from-both-franchises

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Episode VII? Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Episode VII: Donald Duck kicks Jar Jar's Ass

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What he said, though I agree that letting somebody other than Lucas make it is a very important step.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It does give some hope that someone might actually care about getting a decent script.

Draft saved Draft deleted