1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Tribune's sort-of pay wall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Star Tribune is walling off some Vikings content. I don't think it will turn out well. I wonder how much cash the lousy newscast is bringing in?

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2009/09/11/11473/the_star_tribune_prepares_a_new_paywall

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I can understand the appeal, maybe, of clicking on my computer to see print people doing audio and video if the info and insights are good enough.

I cannot imagine ever paying for it. Then it's just talk radio online, with the newspaper's people regurgitating their own stories the way other media folk regurgitate them already. For free.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Of course, a lot of people said the same thing about radio. Why get satellite radio when you have terestrial radio for free?

And then you get it and realize that it's awesome. Worth the 12 bucks or 20 bucks or however much it cost per month to have, cause now you can listen to niche music or comedy or talk without searching for stations on trips.

Not saying newspapers will get there, but it's not like things don't change.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago I was scanning the S-T on-line on a Sunday and they were teasing a newspaper-only feature on the Gophers' new stadium.

That's the first time I've seen a paper tease the print product that way. Anybody know of any other papers doing that?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead has done it within the past few weeks. My paper will do it shortly for in-depth stuff.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Glen Crevier is useless.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I saw that too recently. One problem is, the stories they were keeping behind the "print" firewall weren't all that special. One section had a good one but other sections of the paper just slapped that print-only label on ordinary features. I think they release them to the Web site after a few days and you wonder, what was the big deal?

Draft saved Draft deleted