1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Trek Voyager marathon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riddick, Dec 18, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Spike, not FX. Trek's always been a cornerstone of Spike since it shed the TNN identity.

Nah; didn't make sense. It would have been very difficult to make that cross-galactic return trip if they were at each other's throats.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Sorry guys and gals, but DS9 sucked!!!
    The one hot chick on that show got killed off. That show really sucked. Almost as bad as the latest failed attempt at a ST series.

3. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Never enjoyed DS9, but I did watch Voyager when it was on.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was very late in the series when they killed her off. The actress's name is Terry Farrell. And it did go downhill a bit after she was gone. Though the hottest actress on that show was Chase Masterson, who played Leeta, though she was more of a recurring minor character.

And Enterprise was definitely the worst of the spin-offs.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Worked with Kate Mulgrew's brother at the Nashville paper back in the 1980s.

She came to town once and hung out. She was nice.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

They took too long to get to the Borg. Then when they did, it felt like a desperation move.

Easily the worst ST series of all. Yes, I liked the early days of Enterprise.

And DS9 was a the best one until the beautiful Jadzia Dax died and they replaced her with that Ro-beast Ezri.

7. outofplace

Ro-beast? I'm scared that I think I know what you are talking about.

And Ezri was kinda cute. Just not on the level with her predecessor.

Any wonder I like DS9 and Battlestar Gallactica (Ronald Moore being a key creative voice in both).

8. The top five captains:

5. Christopher Pike. First captain of the Enterprise. First to break Warp 9.

4. Jean Luc Picard. The most overrated captain in Federation history. Allowed himself to be captured by the Borg and mined for strategic secrets. Millions died because of him. Defeated no major enemy. His only saving grace: trained a super group of young officers including Commanders Data, Worf, Laforge and Riker.

3. James Tiberius Kirk. No regenerative shields, low-yield phasers, surrounded by Klingons and Romulans, and still did not lose any significant battles. He was also the first to discover the alternate universe.

2. Benjamin Sisko. Defeated the Dominion, strengthened the Klingon-Federation alliance, created ablative hull armor and convinced the Romulans to equip the Defiant with a low-yield cloak. Arguably the greatest captain ever. His only mistake: Sisko should have mined the wormhole much sooner to prevent Dominion incursion.

1. Janeway. One ship, lost in the Delta quadrant, 60,000 light years to go. Built alliances, kept her crew together, maintained Starfleet's integrity. Most of all, built an alliance with the Borg; something previously thought impossible. By far the most intelligent and tough Starfleet captain ever.

9. outofplace

Oh my god.

I'm not sure which scares me more. The fact that you wrote all of that or the fact that I have enough of an opinion to disagree with you.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I liked the original 'Star Trek.'
    I really enjoyed the 'The Next Generation' once it got going. The first season was pretty slow. I loved the storylines about Data searching for his humanity.
    I hated 'Deep Space 9' at first. It got better later, but that's about the time I stopped watching TV regularly.
    I've seen a handful of 'Voyager' episodes and thought they were terrible.
    Never watched 'Enterprise.'

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Sisko spent the first third to half of DS9 as a commander, and not captain, so he didn't have as much time in the chair as the rest.
    I'd rank him as the best captain though, and DS9 as the best show, but some of that is from the fact that DS9 didn't have the new planet, new alien theme for every show.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ranking the captains? I'll stick to ranking the shows . . . . . .

1. The Original. Sometimes laughable, sometimes entertaining, sometimes riveting, sometimes all three at once. The interaction between Spock and Dr. McCoy made it go dialogue-wise, and its utter cheesiness remains endearing to this day. I grew up on this show, and I frankly enjoy it every bit now as I did then. Even more fun to watch with people who like the new shows, because their looks of horror at just how cheesy it was are very entertaining.

2. Deep Space Nine. A show I once derided as "To Boldly Stay in One Place Where No One Has Stayed in One Place Before" only picked up steam, especially when Worf came aboard. At that time, Sisko went back to his Hawk from Spenser for Hire look, and had a much better presence. And of course was a captain. The Dominion plotline really picked up steam from there, and the show rewarded its longtime viewers with recurring characters, developing those characters, and revealing something new every time. Extra points for the fact that when the Federation-Dominion war finally broke out, they had plotlines to lasdt a whole season . . unlike Next Generation, in which a Klingon Civil War was resolved in the space of a single summer cliffhanger.

3. Next Generation. I actually stopped watching it midway therough the utterly dismal first season, then caught only a few minutes during its equally bad second season. No rerun I have seen since has convinced me I made the wrong decision. I just happened to be bored and watched the Locutus of Borg cliffhanger, which got me hooked onto the show again. The greatest summer cliffhanger in adventure TV history, bar none. They eventually overdid the Borg (never was on board with the Hugh character), but First Contact might be the best movie the franchise ever had. It still had flaws, and I can't give it a pass fro Wesley Crusher or for the repeated "Will Riker get a captaincy THIS time?" plotlines that were prevalent in the early years. But once it hit stride, it was great every week.

4. Enterprise. I know, I know. But there are certain little things a geek like me looks for that it had. For instance, the proper colors on the uniforms to indicate the department an officer was in, matching the old show, NOT the Next generation stuff. I liked the characters, I liked the captain. And yeah, I think Jolene Blalock is smoking hot. But it shot itself in the foot quickly when it started to change some of the history. Why should viewers watch all these shows, why should writers spend so much time establishing history for five TV shows, if they will just throw it away because they need to get the Borg in?

5. Voyager. Boring, boring, boring. Everything seemed like a desperation move after the first episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted