1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Trek: The Reboot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 6, 2009.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

We must've been in the same theater. There were at least a dozen eruptions of applause and "YEAAAAHs" both times he was on screen. Greatest Man Ever, I guess.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

That would be a helluva coincidence. AMC at Newport on the Levee?

3. BRoth

BRoth Member

No, but I suppose there are more than enough Tyler Perry fans to go around.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yep, guess so.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Just got back.

I grew up with Next Gen, and I still maintain that Deep Space 9 was Star Trek at its height. So, obviously, the...shall we say, semi-cheesy?...tone took a little while to get used to. Trek post-Shatner had always considered shooting aliens with phasers to be a grave experience; not for everyone, but when it was on,

(SPOILER BELOW, but not really, I'm not giving away anything you haven't figured out)

But I grew to enjoy TOS, and I dig the reboot. A lot. There was a point during the climax where Chekov or someone blurts out that Kirk and Spock had beamed over to save the day, and I almost burst out laughing at the awesome ridiculousness of it all. It's a great homage to everything about TOS, from the eternal optimism to the minor plot points (it still doesn't pay to be a redshirt). Plot gets a little bit too preposterous, but hey. It's fucking Star Trek.

Never been a huge Star Wars follower, so George Lucas merely annoyed me over the past few years with his shitty movies rather than ruin my childhood memories. So no wounds cut deep there. With that being said, a piece of advice for Lucas: Watch the new Star Trek. That's how you do pulp.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"If both survive the lirpa . . .combat will continue with the ahn-woon!"

(no clue what the actual spelling is)

Awesome.

As for the Chekhov exchange: We're both right, and wrong. We could say "Well, Tribbles was the first time Chekhov went deep into space," but that' not really what they meant. They don't know what they meant. That old show, while I love it, played so fast and loose with continuity that there was no continuity.

(Reading through information on the older movies, and watching DVD docs right now, it's hilarious how off the mark Roddenberry consistently was. Basically, the better movies are what they are because his suggestions were ignored)

Noticed the same thing about Iowa. Maybe it's cheaper to build a starship in Iowa as opposed to Starfleet's San Francisco HQ?

What about the car chase in Iowa? Glad to know that there will be an appreciation for classic cars in 300 years. Not so sure how I feel about the kid choosing Beastie Boys as his soundtrack.

7. king cranium maximus IV

Yeah, I didn't ever crank out Beethoven's 9th when I did donuts as a high schooler.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Yeah, but you know what? It was so Kirk of him to go flying out of that car. Balls to the wall.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

And I would kick your ass with a lirpa, an ahn-woon or the Vulcan death grip... ;D

10. king cranium maximus IV

Oh yeah. That little punk kid was awesome.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've just gotten back from seeing the new movie, and I have to say, I really, really liked it. It was just plain good, old-fashioned Star Trek fun that definitely harks back to being like the old series, only better.

I was really happy to see the provision of a little depth to the Christopher Pike character. He was someone I wish would have been developed more in the old series, at least in terms of his place in Starfleet and his relations and his historical significance, or lack thereof, to Kirk and Spock. To me, "The Menagerie" was never quite enough of him.

Although Pike/Jeffrey Hunter didn't last long in the series, I'd always thought TOS could have done more with him in terms of plotlines/references and nods to past history to give more dimension, and the new movie does that to some extent.

Also liked the newfangled campiness, for lack of a better word, that was present at times in this movie, just as it was in the old series. As others have said, it's Star Trek, and it works in this instance because of that.

I actually found myself sitting through the post-movie credits, I guess because I didn't want it to end and I didn't want to leave. I recognized that I'd been absorbed, and had entered back into the Star Trek world again, just as I sometimes tend to do when I watch my DVD sets of all of the ensuing series.

And when it came to all the other movies, that had really happened only twice, with Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan, and Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home. Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock (directed by Leonard Nimoy) did have its moments, too, though.

This one, I could easily have sat through again, and I probably will. And I, too, can't wait for a sequel. (I have no doubt, now, that there will be one).

12. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I assume the shipyard was in Iowa because there's more space in Iowa.

Saw it earlier today, and loved every freakin' minute of it. Loved the nod to Enterprise, loved seeing Amanda Foreman, almost got a little sniffly when baby Kirk was born, laughed my ass off at Karl Urban (a very good thing, IMO - he was the one actor who I wasn't certain about when the casting was announced) and thought Zack Quinto was spot-fucking-on as Spock. Really can't imagine anyone else attempting that part.

Minor quibble: not enough Simon Pegg.

Draft saved Draft deleted