1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Trek: The Reboot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 6, 2009.

1. I Digress

I Digress Guest

But Fen, that's the trap. The time line changed not because Spock came back, but because George Kirk died. In the original, George Kirk lived. So, going forward, it's different. Jim Kirk wasn't a 'walking stack of books with legs' or 'positively grim' at the Academy. Chekov is a savant now. ALL the crew ended up the Enterprise before their time, except Spock.
    Then Spock traveling back obviously changed it more.
    The paradox is that while this a new time line, it's parallel. The other one happened because Spock came back. He lived it, ergo, it was.
    Like you, however, I think it was well done and it works.
    And you're right about something else. It was FUN!!!! It's been a long freaking time since Trek was fun.
    I always thought DS9 was too dark and that darkness seeped in across the board.
    This was wham bam thank you ma'am I'm out the door to swashbuckle fun!

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Pass the joint. ;D

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Madea Joins the Starfleet. ;)

Just got back and I must say ... pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good. I'm not a Trekker at all, having only seen ONE of the previous movies, but I caught some of the nods here and there to the original. The crowd was really into it - lots of cheering, laughing and even a smattering of applause at the end (which I've only witnessed 3 or 4 times at the movies ever).

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Screening I attended had applause a few times. Haven't seen that since Episode III. Indiana Jones last summer just had derisive giggles.

Fenian, a small correction:

Chekhov's first filmed adventure was "Catspaw." His first aired one was "Amok Time." (Catspaw didn't air until Halloween, 1967).

He sported a rather amusing wig for some of those early episodes before the actor's hair grew out enough to do the Davy Jones imitation they sought.

There are clear timeline paradoxes in this film as far as Classic Trek. However . . . they established that this will be an alternate history, which is nice for geeks like me who are going through the DVDs of the old show and movies right now.

On Lost right now (from the same group of creators), there is a lot of talk about how even if time-traveling individuals attempt to change the past, there will be a "course correction" as the timeline seeks to repair itself. That's how I took the presence of Montgomery Scott being right where they needed him to be.

In any event, the destruction of the Kelvin may have had some ripple effect we're not completely sure of. Who's to say Spock didn't already have pon farr while an instructor at Starfleet Academy?

I did not like the transwarp beaming, until I remembered that the show has always been built on deus ex machina.

I Digress: Great breakdown.

However . . . Chekhov's actions were right in keeping with how the character was supposed to be in the old days. It was subtle, but he was actually a protege of Spock's, I think it may have been seen in "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Often, when Spock would leave the bridge for whatever reason (at least in the second season, when they all still cared), Chekhov would immediately take his place at the science station (also in Star Trek III as the Enterprise approached SpaceDock). He was always meant to be something of a wunderkind.

Yes, Star Trek is back. And I will fly my geek flag high and proud.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I chuckled at the crowd's response at the theatre where I saw Trek. For some reason, it was largely a black audience. There was applause at the end, but the thing that struck me was -- after all these great reveals and callouts to the old show passed with nary a murmur -- the biggest response came when Tyler Perry showed up. A smattering of applause and even a few "yeah!"s... it took me about 10 seconds of confusion to figure out who it was.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You geeks are convincing this geek to go see it.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Somebody explain Perry's role in the show? I assume he's more than just a Falstaff / Porter type inserted for comic relief. The writers wrote plenty of humor into both the original series and the movies.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Bit part for Perry, not funny. Just there.

9. Piotr --
    I'm aware of the earlier Chekhovian appearences, but in "Tribbles," he is sitting in a briefing wherein that mission is described as his "first mission in deep space." Now, it's possible that they're talking about the five-year mission, and therefore, the events of the earlier eps are just part of that and "Tribbles" is the ep wherein they decide to make him a bigger part of the cast. In any case, he doesn't belong on the movie Enterprise, except through the alternate-reality theory, so, OK.
    There sure is a lot going on in Iowa in the 24th century.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Thanks Piotr.. me and Trek, we go back a ways :)

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

What I really like from the reboot is that the time traveling has always been told from the perspective of the ones doing the traveling. They set their present back on path and we've never seen the repercussions of what they left behind. I like the idea that for every time travel, be it in the best of interests like the Voyage Home or accidental, like Nero's ship going through the black hole and Spock following, there is a reaction in the time they arrive at. There is a big part of me that really digs the idea of multiple layers of Trek happening in multiple layers of reality (and yes, I know it's all made up!)

12. ID -- I would not want to have to partake in the an-whoom with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted