1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Trek: The Reboot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 6, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

Re: Star Trek: The Reboot (No, haven't seen it yet)

yeah ... id, I'm sure they must have olded him up a bit.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Hey, sorry, ID! I didn't mean to do that at all. My reply was more in answer to jps, and giving a reason in support of his thought. Guess I should not have also put your post in the quote function.

My apologies.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I have problems controlling my Trek geekiness at times.... no blood, no foul.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, me too. Don't take it personally. I'm just having fun talking Trek, that's all.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

To no one's surprise, I greatly enjoyed it.

Will avoid major spoilers for now, except to say a couple of things:

- I was wrong about Nimoy. The way they used him was brilliant. They preserve canon for the hardcores, and yet create something completely new. I'm happy to be along for the ride.
    - Viewers of recent episodes of Lost are at an advantage while watching this movie, made largely by the same people. I explained away a happy coincidence or two by saying "course correction."
    - Had a nice, patented Trek deus ex machina in the middle to keep the plot on track. But they didn't take 20 minutes explaining it, and Trek has so often in the last 20 years.

Was very happy. Blink and you'll miss Rachel Nichols looking purty in green.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yep, she's also playing Scarlett in the new G.I. Joe movie. I suddenly have need to buy a ticket for that.
    And did anyone catch Greg Grunberg's appearance? Preserving his streak of being in everything J.J. Abrams has had a hand in.
    GRUNBERG!!!/[Khan style]

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Wait. Where was Grunberg?!?!? I seriously dug the flick, and I'm just a casual Trek fan. Pine was pretty good as Kirk, but you know who I was the happiest with? The dude playing McCoy -- even looked like him, facially. Not just made up to look like Deforest Kelly. And I always thought "Bones" was a shortened version of "sawbones." Love damned near everything, but...

avoiding spoilers, a certain romantic relationship bugs the fucking hell outta me. The only misstep, IMHO.

8. Boy, that was fun.
    Of course -- SPOILERS! --

there were some obvious timeline paradoxes vis a vis the original series. If we assume that the new timeline is the one in which they'll live going forward, then how in hell does Spock return to Vulcan for "Amok Time" if the planet's destroyed. (And, no, it's not the "colony" that Old Spock refers to at the end of the film.)
    Also, Chekov SHOULDN'T BE THERE. His first Enterprise mission was "The Trouble With Tribbles.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think that relationship was pretty easy to spot if you watch all the trailers and clips out there.

10. Besides, it was Captain Pike -- in The Menagerie -- who went for the green women.

11. BRoth

BRoth Member

Just got back and thought (Tyler Perry's) Star Trek was good. I could easily tell it was the future because of all the flashing lights and lens flares. Could've used more Madea, though.

Very enjoyable. Wished they used Simon Pegg more. The Lady Friend, who hates these kinds of movies, said afterward it was "awesome." I assume this movie will make some serious $$$.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Thanks to imdb, I found Grunberg. He was the voice of Kirk's stepdad. Nice. Also, didn't realize that Jennifer Morrison (Cameron from "House") was Kirk's mom.

Draft saved Draft deleted