1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Trek: The Reboot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 6, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Think it merits its own thread, since the movie is basically a modernization of a mythology that has endured for four decades.

Catching the midnight show tomorrow.

Very unhappy about a particular plotline (If you're gonna reboot the damn franchise, take it all the way; don't try to please fandorks). But have very high expectations based on Abrams, and based on what I have read.

EW says there are some Easter Eggs in the film, nods to the old school. If they show Kirk and Spock playing three-dimensional chess, I might soil myself from utter fannerd rapture.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: Star Trek: The Reboot (No, haven't seen it yet)

Christ, man, you just make it too easy.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Piotr railing against pleasing fandorks makes me laugh. :D

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's throwing red meat out there, just hoping to be ridiculed. I'm not taking the gimme.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

"Rest assured I will be on sportsjournalists.com within minutes expressing my opinion throughout the world."

:D :D :D

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

I'm pissed about the "new" Enterprise from the movie.

Dammit, they shouldn't reboot the franchise!

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am waiting to see the demonstrably and proveably hot chicks...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Re: Star Trek: The Reboot (No, haven't seen it yet)

It's at 90 on metacritic, and the lowest review listed is Ebert, who's be up-thumbing just about everything since his illness (and who could blame him enjoying life a little more?).

I love TNG with all my heart as probably the best entertainment memories from my childhood. Pickard is my captain for all the reasons I'll probably put marks against this movie.

That said, I fully expect to walk out having been thoroughly entertained and a little disappointed.

And The Onion nails me to a T, of course:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film?utm_source=a-section

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Picard... just sayin'... I am all atwitter with anticipation and a little trepidation. This is, after all, a reboot of my Trek. I have memories of loving Jim Kirk from before having memories, if that makes any sense. I knew when I was 10 that I loved him, although I don't remember watching Trek before that, but obviously I did. I am a Classic Trek baby. Hell, I didn't just love Kirk, I wanted to be him. It was very confusing for a young girl.
    I think a reboot will be easier for folks who came in on TNG and after...

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

oh. and i'm going to the matinee tomorrow. I hope. There's a mother's day thing at school which seriously bites on the day new Trek opens.

Draft saved Draft deleted