1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star-Telegram update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tonysoprano, Mar 4, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

lone star scribe...thanks for the clearing up of the engel duo..okay, both over there....
    and yes, do remember now about galloway having been over in dallas.
    funny, my friend at the FWST hadn't heard a thing about evan grant departing the DMN. did that happen this week?

2. Galloway was at Dallas for a long, long time before the FWST lured him away to the tune of 300 grand a year.

3. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Would layoffs, pay reductions AND furloughs be the Triple Crown?

4. micke77

micke77 Member

sure sounds like it.
    there's a big story in today's USA Today regarding furloughs..interesting. and depressing.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm sorry but that's way too much money

6. micke77

micke77 Member

300 freakin' grand?
    damn.

7. That's when he signed his first deal. I believe it was for five years, $1.5 million. He's since "resigned."

A friend and former co-worker, who also photographed my wedding, was laid off last year by the FWST. Her husband took a buyout today. Worked out well for him, though. He was set to start teaching in August anyway. Still a sad day for two people who worked for newspapers for a long time and contributed a lot to every place they worked.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The Galloway money came at a time when K-R actually wanted FWST to compete with DMN. DMN tried to start an Arlington paper. War. FWST fought back with preps, Galloway, hired Celeste Williams as kick-ass sports editor. From about 2001-2006, one of the best sports sections around, at the very least the equal of the DMN.

Galloway also was/is pulling in about $150,000-$200,000 a year for his radio gig. During his last contract negotiation last summer, he took a cut and asked Executive Editor Jim Witt if that would save some people. Witt said No, it wouldn't.

Galloway's hire made everybody in sports realize that management was serious. I know, sounds crazy given current state of affairs.

9. He's made his presence known, and like SockPuppet said, he's making more than a half-million a year with the paper and radio gigs. Surprisingly, Jim Witt was the one who wanted to lure Galloway away.

Huge salary aside, Galloway is a helluva writer and one of the nicest guys around.

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

That Galloway move by Jim Witt is the only thing he's done postive.

11. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Galloway is a fine human being, and I've enjoyed every second around him.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In better days, a newsroom staff of 405 full-time equivalents, including a sports staff of 90:

http://www.poynter.org/content/content_view.asp?id=12287

Draft saved Draft deleted