1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star-Telegram update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tonysoprano, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Miami Herald's next round of cuts expected by Wednesday.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

From what I understand, the layoffs were done strictly on the basis of seniority. Last ones in, first ones out.

Maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

3. jps

jps Active Member

mercedes is a top-notch journalist and human being. have crossed paths a few times and couldn't come up with a bad thing to say if I tried. and it's been a while, but almost positive her husband does some preps stuff for them and strings for lots of places come playoffs.

4. katmandu

katmandu New Member

actually guys, the star-telly casualty list includes 7 writers, 4 desk people as of right now. based on seniority.

5. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

The high school editor cut is Bob Kowalski, who has been at the Star-Telegram for 12 years.

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Bob is very good people. Hell, they all are. This just makes me sick.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

If you think TCU is the second-most important beat at that paper, then you're truly clueless.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

my friend who works on the copy desk at FWST emailed me last night to say he's safe for now. key words being "for now." gary west is a former writer at the shreveport times in our area. has always done a good job.

9. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

Newbie here. Let's see if this works.
    Been reading this site for awhile. Just wanted to say good luck to the Star-Telegram folks who (will?) be laid off.
    I work in sports at a FW-area community newspaper (part of the prob for S-T) and have covered games with the guys/gals in sports at S-T. Great writers - even better people.
    I just wanted to say I get no delight in any of this. Am from a newspaper family and hate seeing what is happening to the biz.
    In fact, after reading the heart-wenching thread (D-Day Has Arrived At My Shop. Wish Me Luck.) - which played out like a TV drama with the main poster giving moment-by-moment updates on if he was going to be laid off - I don't think I have been happier to have a job.
    Good luck, gals/guys.
    The "frat" is behind you!

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Latest word I've heard -- and again, somebody correct me if I'm wrong -- is that as many as five people who were not targeted for layoffs accepted a buyout, which would (for now) save the jobs of a couple of people mentioned on this thread.

11. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

MM?

Draft saved Draft deleted