1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star-Telegram update

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tonysoprano, Mar 4, 2009.

1. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Buddy of mine emailed me......word is 40-50 positions are being eliminated in the newsroom, 10 of them in sports. Supposed to begin tomorrow.

Horrific. Say some prayers. Great people there.

2. Those numbers are absolutely staggering. I'm sorry for my old friends there.

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

40 to 50 would be a lot for the entire paper. I can't imagine pulling that many just out of the newsroom.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Are they laying off 10 in the sports department or are they eating positions or what?

Ten seems like a ton.

5. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Asked my buddy. Didn't get an answer. Those were the basics, all he knew.

6. good fucking lord

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

This is absolutely horrible, and I'm an FWST alum. Been a while, but I still know a number of folks there. I've got to think there are going to be some major changes to their operations to compensate for this---no way can this be business as usual after these cuts.

No way.

This stinks. God bless all you folks about to be sent packing.

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

10 in any department seems rough. Good luck to all that work there.

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

That is a lot.

Of course, I'm in Podunk where we would hold a celebration if we were granted a newsroom of 40.

I really hope the bean counters aren't looking at the staffing at Podunk papers and thinking "hey, if they can do this in Podunk, then why the hell can't we do it at the metro?"

10. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I'm also a FWST alum and it makes my stomach hurt to read threads like this.

11. This is awful. Just awful.

Best of luck to all involved and prayers for everyone.

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

One of my best friends works here. I pray for her tomorrow. The last time they did the layoffs she said they brought in this woman who careened around the newsroom like the Grim Reaper tapping people on the shoulder and asking them to come to a room where they were told they were canned. It went on for hours. Seriously inhumane!

Draft saved Draft deleted