1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

star-telegram latest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by katmandu, Aug 20, 2008.

1. katmandu

katmandu New Member

here we go again

Star-Telegram initiates separation program

The Star-Telegram announced that it is offering a voluntary separation program to the majority of regular full-time employees.

There was no target set for the number of employee departures, although involuntary layoffs will be considered if enough people do not leave voluntarily.

"The Star-Telegram continues to manage through an increasingly difficult business environment and our business models continue to change. This decision was made to respond to this economic challenge," Publisher Gary Wortel said. "Overall, we remain committed to producing a quality product for our customers."

Earlier this month the Star-Telegram implemented a wage freeze that will be in effect for a minimum of one year.

2. Giggity

Giggity Member

I think it's only a week's severance per year of service on the buyouts.

3. Four references to the "Star-Telegram" and not one single reference to where the paper is ...

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

to the majority of regular full-time employees? that's a mighty big axe they're swinging.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"[C]ommitted to producing a quality product" while dumping the main reason people still take that shitty rag? Gag me with a knife.

6. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

It's Ft. Worth and they just recently had layoffs so this is tough news for the folks working there. I know some quality reporters at the Star-Telegram, would be a shame if they lost their jobs.

7. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

8. Yeah, but a d_b with a more informative title at least.

9. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I've sinned. Forgive me.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Offering it and approving it are two different things. This is way-snaky for management to do -- they get people to "out" themselves as being eager/willing to leave, and then they tell some of those folks, "Nope, you've got to stay." From that point on, though, their career arcs are damaged because the bosses can write them off as disloyal, lacking commitment, etc. It's like pulling out a chair out for someone, then yanking it away like a real bastard when they try to sit down.

Then again, whose career arc ain't damaged nowadays. What we all really need is a career ark.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The Star-Telegram is far from a "shitty rag." Maybe it has been downgraded to a "rag" from when it was once a paper on par with the Dallas Morning News, but it's not reached "shitty" status yet.

And it's FORT Worth, not Ft. Worth.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Coming on the heels of McClatchy announcing 1-year wage freezes starting Sept. 1, it's just more bad news for Star-Telegram folks.

Draft saved Draft deleted